Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vario EC135 Neo swash setup

Posted by richardlittlewood 
Vario EC135 Neo swash setup
November 03, 2020 11:28PM
I really need some help please setting up the head on 4 blade Vario. I haven't done a 4 blade before and don't want any surprises when spooling up.
So far I have gone through setup with vcontrol and reduced the horn length as the collective was plus 14 to minus 12 which was way too higher range and couldn't reduce any further with setup. I now have plus 9 and minus 4 but the negative throw is at max. Because I have reduced the horn length I now can't get the cyclic value to 8 in setup. Max is 6 when dialled right up to 120. But my question is do I need a cyclic value of 8 with scale?

Also I notice the horns on the swash aren't at right angles to the body (as per picture attached )when setting up cyclic throw so it probably wouldnt give maximum throw when the blade is parallel to the body as it is at 45 degrees. Do I need to turn the swashplate driver round to make them correct. I think this is something to do with phasing but I thought the vbar sorted the phasing electronically.

I hope this makes sense but any guidance would help.

Re: Vario EC135 Neo swash setup
November 04, 2020 09:08AM
Hi,

in general, you get the best results from the control loop if you get into the recommended ranges of values, for cyclic and collective.
It's like a flybar, only if the leverage ratios are OK, it will work properly.
And 8° does not mean 3D agility, it's meant for calibration, to give the VBar information about what's happening outside.

You can fly with 6° but it will probably feel like a sack of nuts, and please keep in mind, the stabilization has to work with the same tools at hand, so it has to stabilize that sack of nuts.

I would set up for +/– 12 and 8°, then reduce collective using collective pitch curves, and agility using ... Agility.
That's what we also did for our VARO BO 105s, although we have custom made mechanics inside and a different rotor head, there is the VARIO swash plate and driver.

About the links to the blades, their angle, the swash plate driver: mount in a way so the links go straight up. This is not possible at a 90° angle/lead, of course, because 90° ahead, there's the next blade.

Here comes virtual swash plate rotation into play: after you have done your mechanical setup, rotate one blade in line with the tail boom, and adjust (rotate) the swash plate electronically so the blade does the right thing if you input aileron, but does not move if you input elevator.

The last thing to do would be to adjust for dynamic phasing, because phasing changes with load on the rotor head.
To do this, you either do a quick start, quickly fly away from a hover, just with elevator and collective, see to which direction the model also rolls a bit, before the control loop catches it, or do a straight and level fly-by, and do a quick elevator input, watch out for the same thing.
Then, electronically rotate the swash plate _into the direction_ the model tends to roll, in 5° steps, until this effect is gone (or almost, it's dynamic after all).

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2020 09:10AM by Eddi E. aus G..
November 04, 2020 09:37AM
Thanks Eddi for your help

I think I get the collective setup now and will re do that to get 8 degrees.

Can I ask which setting in vcontrol changes/rotates the swashplate?

Many thanks

Richard
November 04, 2020 09:57AM
Hi Richard,

in the classic VBar Control, you find it here, Model Setup-Main Rotor-Expert (App needs to be loaded).

In VBar Control Touch, it's in Edit Model Setup, scroll down a bit, long-tap on the Main Rotor-Swashplate Type (Select^)-button.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
November 04, 2020 10:03AM
Yes its the classic vcontrol. So it's the free swashplate app?

I have this. I will try and work this out.

Many thanks
November 04, 2020 10:12AM
Hello Richard,

right, that's the one. If you want, you can adjust each and every parameter individually, simpler would be: rotate the EDS Dial until all parameters are highlighted, then click-rotate will rotate the whole thing.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
November 04, 2020 10:35AM
Thats interesting ok I will try that. I didn't know you could highlight them all with the EDS dial.

Will have a play around tonight

Cheers
November 04, 2020 10:43PM
Hi Eddi

Had a play around tonight and now get it. Many thanks for your help!

Looks as though in need to rotate the swash electronically by about 45 degrees to get the desired input.

Can I just ask one more question?

With the blade parallel to the boom at the back and counter clockwise rotation when I input right aileron should the leading edge go down?

The blade doesn't move now when I input elevator

Thanks

Richard
RV
November 04, 2020 10:53PM
Hello Richard,

on a CCW machine the blade on the left side must move up when applying nose down elevator (effect is 90° delayed then and lifts the tail boom). The blade over the tail does not move. It is just the same as on 2-blade helis for the physics ;-)

Consider to dial in a bit in first flights doing a quickstart from hover - or some pirouettes. I bet you need to go to 80 or 85 deg (1 or 2 klicks back) to get the quickstart in one line or a good pirouette.

There is a old V4 Video .... #14:

https://www.vstabi.info/en/node/141

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
November 04, 2020 11:33PM
Thanks Rainer.

Both to you and Eddi for your help and comprehensive answers.

Scale multi blade is new to me so a bit of a learning curve.

Although I have 4 neo's they are all on Goblins and fairly easy

to set up.

Thanks again
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login