Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WiFi Connection issues

WiFi Connection issues
October 01, 2020 06:55AM
Hi,

Can you tell me what makes a good WiFi connection as I seem to have not much luck updating the radio whilst at home?

I sometimes feel myself going around in circles wondering what I have done wrong when it seems to take forever to run through an App install only for it to not install it.
Even doing a reset over USB doesn't seem too straight forward, but after some time have managed to reset it, then it may work fine over WiFi but then for it not to work the next time.

Is there a golden recipe of ingredients on WiFi that it needs?

Thanks,

Murray
Re: WiFi Connection issues
October 01, 2020 09:18AM
Hi Murray,

I'm afraid it's not necessarily your WiFi connection (the last couple of feet) or your internet connection (the last mile), but what's in between that and our servers in Germany. If you take USB, you take the WiFi out of the equation anyway.

From your place to e.g. Frankfurt it's 10,000+ miles, e.g. ping times are around 250-350 ms average (compared to 15-35 locally), and the connection goes through countless nodes on the surface, below sea or via satellites (data packets do not even all take the same route, by the way).

I can not tell how we could improve the situation short of offering mirror servers on all continents (next to impossible).
For whatever reason, I take it packet losses and/or timeouts occur, interfering with the data transfer and installation.

You should think that, if you can access web sites (and quickly) around the globe, watch videos etc., it should be no big deal to transfer a megabyte or two of software in a timely manner and coherently.

As attachments, please see values from Potsdam, Germany (considerably slow DSL connection) and from Australia (average bandwidth for a home connection, I guess, much quicker than the more direct connection actually), to a random server in Frankfurt, taken at the same time (directly and via a TeamViewer connection).

I wish I had a solution at hand.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2020 09:20AM by Eddi E. aus G..

Re: WiFi Connection issues
October 02, 2020 05:09AM
What I have found is that with WiFi directly to the VBCt there can be problems, but using the exact same WiFi on my laptop and then connect the VBCt to USB via the manager it updates and downloads lightning fast. So somewhere in the VBCt the data over WiFi gets slowed down or corrupted. Just my observation.

VControl, VBar on all.
TDR, TDR2, TDF, TDS and TDSF
Peter
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login