Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Designating batteries to specific model

Posted by Jdutsar 
Designating batteries to specific model
May 09, 2020 04:04PM
I would like the ability to assign a subset of batteries to a specific heli. For example, I'd only like batteries A, B, and C to only appear when my VBCt is bound to Heli 1 and D, E, and F when bound to Heli 2. I don't think this is possible now, but would like to see this in a future update. What do you think?

Kindest regards,
John
RV
Re: Designating batteries to specific model
May 09, 2020 04:52PM
Please use the Battery ID Sensor and teh RFID Tags - this is what it is made for ;-)

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
May 10, 2020 05:46PM
Thank you for the reply. I agree that the RFID sensor is made for identifying batteries and many would surely like that. However, adding a sensor across multiple helis gets to be quite expensive. For those on a limited budget, this additional feature will help make things a little easier. I don't think it's too much to ask for such a feature on a high-end radio. Is your position that Mikado will not be adding this feature and the only answer is to buy RFID sensors?

Kindest regards,
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2020 05:51PM by Jdutsar.
May 11, 2020 11:42AM
Hi John,

technically, it's possible to keep lists of everything, like serial no. (Model ID -> Battery ID) where the battery ID is the pilot's responsibility.
You'd have to manage lists if something changes.
Can you still allow batteries to more than one model but exclude them from others?
What if you accidentally mount a wrong pack (lesser capacity) and end with an empty pack, mid-air?
It makes things more and more complicated and takes away the 'fire (up) and forget' ease of use.

Plus, you'd have to keep the lists in the/one radio, they'd not be available on the next radio (bind and fly, model sharing).

A thing to keep in mind and discuss (maybe like Favorites), but I guess nothing that will come like ... tomorrow smiling smiley

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
May 11, 2020 04:28PM
Hi Eddi,

Without RFID you always run the risk of selecting the wrong battery on the radio. That's even true with a "Fixed" battery where the radio assumes the same battery is being used, but someone could have mounted a different battery. Regardless, the risk of selecting the wrong battery is of lesser concern. This is more about not having to scroll through a long list of batteries when I bind.

The designation of batteries could be like a list favorite batteries as you suggest. Heli A could have a list of favored batteries and Heli B could have another list of favorites. And yes, heli A and heli B could have common batteries on their lists to facilitate sharing across models. When binding, you can allow the user to list all batteries or only their favorite batteries.

I don't think maintaining these lists or settings will be a big challenge and do not think it makes things more complicated. Besides, it would only be another option among many others for people to use - not a requirement. I also think, based on my reading, that adding RFID adds some complexity in its own right.

For now I only have 8 batteries to manage across 2 helis, but I am saving to convert two more of my existing helis to Neo. This will add another 10 batteries, giving me 18 batteries to scroll through when I bind, and when I purchase another heli, the list will only grow. Having favorite batteries by heli will make this much simpler. And yes, I could spend another $50 per heli for RFID, but I'd rather put that money towards converting to NEO or a new heli. Either way, Mikado wins as long as revenue is being generated, but I sure wish there was a better answer than buying RFID.

Am I the only one who sees it this way?

Kindest regards,
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2020 04:30PM by Jdutsar.
RV
May 11, 2020 06:20PM
Sorry guys,

definitely time for RFID. Nothing else. One reader each model, tags aren't that expensive ...

Rainer Vetter

Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
May 11, 2020 06:29PM
Would you mind sending me a few then? I will take 4. ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2020 06:29PM by Jdutsar.
RV
May 11, 2020 06:37PM
Just order at www.mikado-heli.de as usual.

Rainer Vetter

May 11, 2020 07:07PM
Thanks Rainer, that's very helpful. They are on back order - do you know when they will become available?
RV
May 11, 2020 11:29PM
Hmmm .. .okay .. this is in fact a Question for Eddi here - i am not at the Mikado shop ... EDDDIIIII ????

Rainer Vetter

May 12, 2020 02:27AM
Please don't worry about it. I see that there are some stock at a few resellers here in the States.

I appreciate your help with this.
May 12, 2020 11:34AM
Hi all,

the sensors will be available again soon, at our web shop, afaik it's only the stickers which are on back order, but already en route to us.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
May 16, 2020 04:28PM
I appreciate your stance on this, Eddi and Rainer, but I would like to put a vote in for it anyway. Many of use have multiple models and so pages of batteries to choose from.

I think simplest would be an exclusion list, i.e. I don't want to see this battery against the current model.

So any new models/batteries show everywhere until selected to exclude.

Thanks for you consideration
Richard
May 16, 2020 06:47PM
I second that! And an exclusion list is backward compatible with the current behavior so, if you don't want to use it, then don't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2020 06:55PM by GregCA.
May 17, 2020 10:07AM
Exactly, nicely putthumbs up
If I was to guess at the architecture:

Each model folder would have a batteries file, so only one additional file read operation on model connection.

The select list would have the exclude filter, while battery manager would still show all with a new flag for "Do not show in select".

The new batteries file could be extended later with additional attributes like favourite/orderby or whatever else. I wouldn't bother putting the files into backup, as it's easy enough to recreate.

Thanks for doing the "Behind the scenes of VBCt" video. Amazing work!
Richard

P.S. I can get more numbers for you, but we have one guy at our field who loves the smaller models which won't fit RFID, and he has about 15 batteries to choose from each time. He has RFID on one model but none of the other 5 VBCt owners have it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2020 09:28AM by RichardV.
May 17, 2020 01:46PM
The RFID sensor is also not always practical to mount, especially on smaller helis. I flew a Jeti before switching back to my VCT and used RFID tags. It worked great on my Logo 550 but there was no way to mount the reader on my Synergy 516 without fabricating some type of mount.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 01:50PM by GScott.
May 17, 2020 03:07PM
Not sure if this matters but another vote for this added capability to enhance the versatility of an amazing radio system.
August 21, 2020 08:08PM
As suggested, I went ahead and purchased the RFID sensors for two of my bigger helis and absolutely love it. Setup was super easy and the tags read 100% of the time without issue. Its the only way to fly!

I am concerned, however, that the RFID sensors may not fit well on my Oxy 2 or Oxy 3. Is there a smaller option available. If not, is there a way to filter out the batteries associated with the RFID sensor? I'd love to get those batteries out of the way because they will never be used on these two smaller helis. Do the sensor fit on the Logo 200?

Kindest regards,
John
RV
August 21, 2020 11:29PM
Unfortunately there is no smaller one available.

But - if you fly one battery only in one heli (and it is the only battery for this heli) you can use teh fixed battery app.

On the L200 is no need - there is no telemetry in this ESC.

Rainer Vetter

August 22, 2020 01:00AM
You know, this is actually a valid question. Example:

I have an Oxy3 and two 700 size helis. I don’t want to see my 12s packs. Additionally, the size and weight of the RFID sensor makes it impractical to fly on the Oxy3.

It would be great to make it to see only 3S packs when The Oxy fires up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2020 01:22AM by angeljr.
August 22, 2020 01:01AM
Got it. Thank you for your reply.
August 22, 2020 01:14AM
Whenever you request a feature from a manufacturer imagine how you would use it in a practical manner and suggest that also.

If you want that feature maybe you should suggest a way to use it such as to add an FBL's "battery bag" selected from the transmitter's "battery inventory" so that the developers have an idea where to start developing the feature and its use.

In the case of the Vbars they are the ones that contain the "bag" info so they would have a list of codes and when the list in that Neo's "bag" contains a battery that's no longer in the transmitter inventory just alert that it's no longer available and see it the person wants to create it or delete it form the Neo. That way it would make the selection pretty easy.

That being said there might be other internal reasons why the idea is not possible and that would remain in the manufacturer's decision.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2020 01:15AM by Auggie Copter.
August 22, 2020 01:35AM
Thanks Auggie. I will keep that in mind next time. Perhaps I can run my ideas by you first and you can help me phase it in a way that manufacturers would better understand. I thought I was clear, but the bag idea really clarifies matters.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login