Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Replace Switch 2 on my VBCt with a button?

Posted by Jdutsar 
Replace Switch 2 on my VBCt with a button?
April 22, 2020 02:28PM
I am a long-time Spektrum user who used the bind/buddy button to initiate rescue. I really liked that setup because I would fly with my left index finger resting on the button. Would it be possible for me to swap out switch 2 on my VBCt and replace it with a button removed from one of my old Spekrum radios? I am comfortable soldering the wires, but I just don't know if it will work or cause other issues. What do you think?

Danke schön,
John
Re: Replace Switch 2 on my VBCt with a button?
April 27, 2020 02:59PM
I have heard that people have used a Jeti button. Is that a better way to go?
April 27, 2020 07:07PM
These 3-Position-Switches (A - mid - cool smiley are physikalische logical switches. If the Switch on Pos A its impossible that ist is on Pos B.

If you „tear“ the Switch apart in a 2-Posistion-Switch (Pos A -mid) and a button (mid - Pos cool smiley, you‘ll have to programm a logic by your own to handle the Situation Switch on Pos A and the same time button an Pos B.

Gruß Jürgen
April 27, 2020 09:27PM
Thank you for your reply. I'd love to see Mikado offer a button that can replace a switch. Until then, I guess I have no other choice than to use a momentary switch for rescue.

Kindest regards,
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2020 09:29PM by Jdutsar.
April 28, 2020 09:51AM
Hi John,

in fact, people _have_ replaced the switch with a button, successfully.

The 3-position-switch is a double breaker, means at center, there is no electrical connection, and if you flick it to A or B, it closes a circuit to either A or B.

If you use a button, it's usually also a breaker, open circuit (center) if left alone, closed circuit ( A or B ) if you push it.

This is why it's usually possible to replace the switch with a button, if it doesn't work at once, just reverse the switch direction, means swap A with B.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2020 09:52AM by Eddi E. aus G..
April 28, 2020 02:09PM
Thanks, Eddi!

That's what I figured, but I was concerned about harming the radio in some way. I didn't think the replacement would cause and issue because its just another type of switch, but I want to make sure. So... I will try this out and see how it goes.

Thank you again!
John
April 28, 2020 03:31PM
Friend of mine Rob Bingham fitted switches to his and others for the rescue with success.thumbs up

April 29, 2020 09:03AM
Hi all,

just be careful with the connectors of the switches. Especially on the Touch, with four sockets side by side, you can easily break one off if wiggling/pulling the wires/connectors, without supporting the socket.

But if you hold and press the socket between two fingers, against the main board, it's not a problem.
Or you de-solder at the original switch, insulate the A or B wire (outer wires), and solder 0 (original center wire) and the remaining outer wire to your button.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
June 07, 2021 02:25PM
Hi Eddi. I’m just curious... if I were to swap the original toggle switch with a push button switch, what are the electrical specs of the original?

I know 1A, 125v is pretty common, but I see many rated much higher or lower.

I’d also want a quality switch with very high cycle/MTBF rating.

Thanks!
June 07, 2021 02:38PM
Hi,

the switches are simple ON-OFF-ON switches, and the operating voltage—I'd guess, never measure it myself— is 3.3 V.
Currents can be neglected, they just make contact or not.

I'm not familiar with that particular market, so I can not recommend anything.

Some pilots (according to forums) seem to have used push button switches from other RC manufacturers.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
June 07, 2021 04:03PM
Thanks Eddi!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login