Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re tail gears

Posted by Crunch 
Re tail gears
January 18, 2018 11:14AM
Hi guys

I've had around 50 flights on my logo 700 and checked for play in the tail gears after every flight, due to people saying they have failed.
I've noticed that I have play in front and rear gears after only 50 flights.
I replaced both sets of gears as I don't want a failure, but already starting to get play in the tail and front gears again.
They are built as manual.
Is this normal to get the movement in the gears. I'm a little concerned as I have seen people on here with tail gear failure around 60 ish flights.
Many thanks Paul
Re: Re tail gears
January 29, 2018 12:35PM
Hi Paul,

If the gears are fine at the beginning, in our opinion there is nothing to worry about.
We use some DryFluid gear for the front bevel gears as well as for the tail bevel gears.

As long as you do not touch the ground with the tail (slightly is enough to damage them) they are fine for hundreds of flights (competition flying level).
Please also make sure your tail gain is set properly and it do not tend to shake in hard maneuvers/ overspeeds.
If one of the above mentioned things happened, the gears were overloaded, then you have to heck them carefully.

What you have to do is to eliminate the axial play of the tail rotor shaft at the beginning with the 0.2mm shims included in your kit regarding to the manual.

How did you check your play?
Did you remove the tail rotor case from the tail boom and checked the play?
How did you do it for the front bevel gears?
January 29, 2018 07:07PM
Hi
Thanks for replying

There is no axial play in the tail shaft , if I gently move tail rotor back and forward there is a small amount of play.
I removed tail gear box held my thumb on umbrella gear and rocked tail rotor back and forwards and there is a little play there, I also removed tail boom put my thumb on umbrella gear and moved other front gear which also has a small amount of play in.
It's like both umbrella gears need a shim in to move them forward to remove the play. I have the bearing pushed tight to the shoulder on the umbrella gear.
There was a lot of play in the first set of gears after 50 flights, so I replaced all of them as I don't want a failure as it costs a lot money.
I have made some shims up and removed most of the play on the new gears but can still rock tail rotor a couple of mm.
I'll go with this and keep checking after each flight.
Many thanks
January 30, 2018 08:52AM
Hi,

a small amount of play is intended, as long as the tail gears are aligned properly all is well. Still, keep an eye on it, if it get's worse shim it out or, if you find it necessary, replace them.

Otherwise, the bevel gears are very reliable and although all gears are wearing parts, to some degree, they hold for a good long time, and at competition style flying.

If the tail rotor gain or respective parameters were set so rigid that you can hear the tail whine or oscillate, or even see that, you are probably near the maximum load ... a LOGO is supposed to be quiet compared to other designs, if it whines like other models would do, you would possibly already be requesting too much, and honestly, without any benefit but the awkward sound.

Best,

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
January 31, 2018 08:05AM
Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login