Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

VBC and NEO not connecting at startup

Posted by Flipper 76 
VBC and NEO not connecting at startup
August 22, 2016 05:39AM
Hello Everyone,

I'm having an issue at start up on my Logo700xx, when I plug in the main batteries the NEO starts up but does not find the VBC(it lights flashing blue and then after a while switches to flashing green and red). I found out then that by playing with the ESC wires (Master and Slave), disconnecting and connecting them until the initialization on the NEO is successful would work. I'm flying fine after this, rescue works fine and everything is perfect. Annoying process to get it initialized however, and hopefully you can help me track down the cause for this issue.

The setup is:

-VBC (updated to the latest version)
-NEO Pro + Rescue (updated to the latest version)
-Kosmik 200 ESC (updated to the latest version (4.1 kontronik for mikado telme), with Bluetooth module and waiting for mikado telme to be shipped. Using the Kontronik BEC only. Using Kosmik governor.
- Mikado UI sensor and Mikado Batt ID sensor
-Pyro 850-50L motor
-MKS HBL 850 and 880 servos

I had another NEO unit lying around and swapped units getting the same results, so it's not a faulty vbar unit, I don't believe both would have the same issue... interesting fact is that they start up fine without all the servos connected, but once you connect everything to the NEO the issue happens again...

Another interesting fact is that everytime you start up the NEO with an external RX battery it starts up correctly... this is what led me to trying to plug and unplug the ESC wires until I got a successful initialization.

Always before it initializes correctly I get and IMU error though, even after the latest NEO update... when I get that error I know that I'm almost there, next time I connect it usually it inits successfully.

For an idea of the frequency that this happens (not every single time), it's like 80% of the time you try to connect the main battery pack... and connecting/disconnecting the ESC wires sometimes works in a few tries, sometimes it takes like 6-7 times for the initialization to be successful.

Because there's no connection when they do not find each other, I cannot get logs from it... and when I'm able to connect successfully usually I'll get an IMU error once and then it connects fine with no strange warnings...

As far as the Kosmik logs I've also taken a look at those and they appear to be normal...

I tried to provide you above all the setup details and tests that have been done so far, please let me know if I need to provide you with any other information and/or files, I hope that you can help me tracking down the cause for this...

Thanks Felipe

PS- do you think that Telme Mikado can solve this issue? I'm asking because this same heli gets that issue of the UI sensor resetting mid flight if you're flying hard enough... and I remember you said this was only going to be solved with Telme... and more recently I remember you were mentioning 80% of TDR2 owners had the IMU issue with their Kosmiks and Pyros... could it be somehow related?
RV
Re: VBC and NEO not connecting at startup
August 22, 2016 09:36AM
Does it start up every time if you start with a external pack first and then turn on the flight pack / Kosmik BEC?

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
Re: VBC and NEO not connecting at startup
August 22, 2016 09:39AM
Hi,

Quote:
Felipe
Another interesting fact is that everytime you start up the NEO with an external RX battery it starts up correctly... this is what led me to trying to plug and unplug the ESC wires until I got a successful initialization.

I think you already found it: we have reason to assume that the BEC of some ESCs starts up in a way so the VBar does not have good and constant power supply to perform it's own power on self test.
On quite a few occasions now, I was able to replicate it and to solve it by powering up with a BUG or a buffer battery, and only then connecting the main power supply to the ESC.

TelMe imo would not make a difference, the U/I sensor issue is a different animal: the ESC is radiating away with extremely high frequencies at high power, taking out/resetting the CPU in the sensor at peaks. This can be solved (or hidden, the ESC is still radiating but TelMe is farther away).
One customer has reported that mounting the U/I sensor on top of the Kosmik did the trick for him (instead of having it 'dangling' in line in front of the ESC).

Bottom line, for the init issue, use a BUG or buffer battery for initial power up, for the U/I sensor use TelMe instead _or_ try and move the sensor on top or below the Kosmik (wires U-shaped) and only then to the main battery.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2016 09:40AM by Eddi E. aus G..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login