Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

VBC radios low end battery % limit?

Posted by johnahamelv 
VBC radios low end battery % limit?
December 11, 2023 06:54AM
How low can the transmitter battery percent drop on any of the VBC radios before absolutely needing to recharge?
Re: VBC radios low end battery % limit?
December 11, 2023 08:52AM
Hi!
My experience handling a low battery - the advertisment is changing to red colour by passing about 20%, still flying is possible ... than -i do not know the percent - the screen is changing to black - you cannot see anything on the screen - still flying is possible ... NOW you should latest reload the battery winking smiley
I personally try to reload latest passing 25% for safety ...
Geri

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2023 08:53AM by Dirtygeri.
Re: VBC radios low end battery % limit?
December 11, 2023 09:08AM
Hi,

the warning threshold is set to 15 % actually (or it has been changed recently, which I doubt).
Then, you still have 30-60 mins left, depending on battery size and screen brightness, but the radio keeps nagging you.

At 0 % the display will dim to its lowest setting, and because the % are representing the battery voltage, you'll (barely) see like 10 % again, and the radio will still work.

As a last resort, the radio will switch off the display backlight if I recall correctly, but it will remain transmitting until the bitter end, until the battery voltage with hardly any load any more finally drops below what's necessary to keep the 3.3 V UHF module running.

Bottom line grinning smiley you can safely use the radio until the warning occurs, and then some. Everything's designed to ensure flight safety as well as the battery health. For example, while the radio will still be running while it's running, it will no longer switch on again if the battery voltage was too low.

I understand that many out there become apprehensive with % below 25, 20 % (some even at below 50 % grinning smiley), but there's no reason. It's not like with other electronic devices, where you have to fear they let you down without warning when below 20, 15 %.

Best,

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login