Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wish List for VBC EVO radio and EVO FBL features

Posted by johnahamelv 
Wish List for VBC EVO radio and EVO FBL features
November 30, 2023 07:47PM
These are lists of features I would like to see added to the VBC EVO radio and EVO FBL units. I plan to edit these lists from time to time.

VBC EVO radio wish list:

1) Allow functionality for the internal motion sensors: This allows for neat functionality for non-vital functions. For instance, I could tilt the radio left to announce current mah capacity. I could tilt the radio to the right to announce timer. Tilt up to announce current RPM head speed. I would not have to flip a switch or otherwise take my fingers off the sticks to make such announcements. I personally use the tilt up sensor to engage “Rescue” on the Jeti radios.

2) Allow for more than 5 preferred batteries per model: I own more than 5 batteries which I share among various helicopters. I don’t like having to sift through all 45+ batteries for each model, but limiting the preferred batteries to only 5 batteries makes it so that I still have top sift through the entire list of batteries.

3) Allow for correct battery capacity calibration for both LiPo and Li-Ion batteries: Currently, the radio battery capacity % is calibrated only for a 1S LiPo. When using the new Li-Ion battery, the % capacity is not reading correctly.

4) Allow for capturing and logging command, sensor, and control loop activity for later graphical viewing in order to optimize fine tuning (see attached pic as an example): The traditional way of FBL unit fine tuning flight parameters by “feel” does work, but current technology has evolved to allow for fine tuning flight parameters using logs and graphs. This ability would aid in identifying which parameters (P-gain vs. I Gain vs. something else) need to be adjusted for the desired result and optimal performance.

5) Allow for ability to separate Motor IDLE and Motor OFF to separate switches: The current Motor ON/IDLE/OFF on the same 3-way switch makes it so that it is possible to inadvertently switch to “Motor OFF” instead of “Motor IDLE” for autorotations. This inadvertent “Motor OFF” position then means one loses the ability for “fast spoolup bailout” in case of a botched autorotation. Having “Motor ON” and “Motor IDLE” assigned to a separate and dedicated 2-way switch would eliminate the possibility of flipping too far to “Motor OFF” position as “Motor OFF would have its own separate and dedicated switch.

6) Ability to take a single screen shot with a momentary switch without taking 2 screen shots: Currently, if I assign “Screen Shot” to a momentary switch, any time I want to take just one single screen shot, the radio takes 2 screen shots; one screen shot when I flip the switch, but then a second unintended screen shot when the switch springs back.

7) Ability to set center tone on collective stick only in Motor IDLE: I am still learning autorotations. It helps me to listen to a tone/beep when the collective stick passes center position during autorotations. Currently, I can make the radio beep when the collective stick passes center position, but it is currently an all or none function. I don’t want to listen to annoying beeps every time the collective stick passes center during regular flight. I only want to hear the beep when the collective stick passes center only during autorotations.

8) Ability to choose between standard (stock) gimbals vs. AG01-V gimbals: I understand this is more of a sensitive subject. I personally consider the standard/stock gimbals to be good enough. However, it is hard to discount the current enthusiasm and reviews for these AG01-V gimbals. I would have personally paid more money for a VBC EVO radio with AG01-V gimbals already installed.

9) Availability of 2-way switches and buttons: Many functions (Autorotation, Motor Lock, Rescue, Buddy Boxing, etc.) could be better served with a 2-way switch or 2-way button. Having a 3-way switch for these 2-way functions can be confusing to some of us.

10) Ability to control volume using the rotary knobs or trim wheels: As car manufacturers have found out, having the ability to quickly control the volume with a physical knob/wheel is a desirable feature. Currently, one has to go through several prompts to access the volume control. Having the ability to assign the volume control to a knob/wheel would allow for quicker access to the volume control. Wish granted with 02 Dec 2023 firmware update. smileys with beer

11) Ability to install LUA apps: This may also be a sensitive subject to discuss for a close system. The neat aspect of LUA apps is that the “community” can create apps to add desired functionality to the already existing hardware. LUA apps unloads the burden on the developers to create new features and/or functionality. If the developer considers a particular LUA app exceptional, the developer has the option of adding and further refining the functionality of the app in a future firmware update.

12) Ability to set controls and functions based on telemetry values: This is a neat function I use with Jeti. For instance, I set Rescue to only activate IF the RPM head speed is >1500rpm in my flying Banks, as I would not want to inadvertently activate Rescue when I don’t have much head speed. This functionality would also allow me to make the throttle % drop after a user defined mah capacity used threshold. These are just a few examples, but there are many other possibilities.

13) Ability to make Motor IDLE and Rescue functions mutually exclusive: It is not uncommon for folks to make mistakes flipping switches in a moment of panic. One may want to flip the Rescue switch, but instead flip both Rescue AND Motor IDLE/OFF. It is a bad combination having the helicopter trying to Rescue and just run out of all head speed in the process.

14) Ability to have 0° collective during Neo/EVO setup steps: Currently, the only way to make the cyclic servos “neutral” is by clicking on the cyclic servos sub-trim menu. The issue is that we also need the cyclic servos centered (0° collective pitch) during the 8° cyclic deflection calibration step. Other systems allow you to set provisional pitch curves of 0-50-50-50-100% so that the collective pitch is 0° anytime the collective stick is around center stick for this purpose.

VBC EVO FBL wish list:

1) Allow for centering the tail servo: I understand version 4.x of the VBar firmware had the functionality, and this functionality was discontinued sometime with version 5.x. I understand the argument that this function is “not needed”, but I consider that pilots “wanting it” back is worthy of consideration. Having this functionality back would allow for easier mechanical setup at the bench for many of us. This ability for allow the more “perfectionist” pilots get more even numbers in the tail travels. I am not arguing the necessity of even tail travel numbers, but many pilots just like to have even tail travel numbers. I believe this is a fairly easy request to satisfy.

2) Allow more “Rescue” options like inverted Rescue: This is a selling feature on other FBL units. Currently, the Neo/EVO Rescues only to skids down attitude. Having the ability to Rescue to either skids down and/or skids up has its own merits.

VBC T/E Cloud wish list:

1) Allow for viewing full setup parameters like the “VBar Control Flight Analyzer” app RichardV created: This is a neat program RichardV created. The original program was very convenient as it allowed viewing Neo parameters after just a few steps. The current setup is less convenient necessitating downloading and saving the Neo/EVO files to the computer, and then dragging and dropping the file(s) to RichardV’s program. I would like this to evolve to a more convenient and seamless process.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2023 03:22AM by johnahamelv.

Re: Wish List for VBC EVO radio and EVO FBL features
November 30, 2023 08:57PM
Wow, thanks a lot for the list! Unfortunately a bit late for Christmas update winking smiley But it contains some items that are really handy and easy to implement. So we will look into the points.
It would be very helpful for us, if you could add the purpose you want to archive with the features so they are not only "because you can". I do have the impression, that some are already possible, probably just a bit different than you think.

so long ... Uli
http://www.vstabi.de
November 30, 2023 11:03PM
Hello Uli,

I edited the original post and added explanations to the points in red font.

Thank you,

John Hamel
sme
December 01, 2023 03:03PM
Hello John,

regarding your point 6.
I had this issue in the past as well, but it is solved since a while.

kind regards
Stefan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login