Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Static hits?

Posted by Runarsk 
Static hits?
November 28, 2017 08:50PM
Hi all, hoping you can help.

I recently built a Logo 690 v.2 and I'm experiencing a problem that has allready caused one crash and nearly caused another one on saturday.

I'm using a VBC, Neo Vlink with rescue, Jeti Mezon 130, Mks 960 swash, BK 8005 tail and stock motor. I also have amp and battery id sensors installed. Static kit is in place.

On flight 10 I was just flying calmly around on 1400hs breaking in bearings and dampeners when I made a left turn coming over our field around 7mins into the flight. At the end I started a loop, but realized there was no HS left at all. Heli made the loop but fell down on it's skids breaking skids, both frame halves, canopy, feathering shaft and main shaft. When I reached the model everything was still on.

The log made me question myself as it said I turned the motor switch off and on again a couple of times right before I crashed. I couldn't believe it but strange things happen and being in the log I had to blame myself right?

After the rebuild I remaidened flying calmly again, this time on 1900HS. All of a sudden i hear the HS drop again! I auto down checking they the motor switch is actually on, and it is! Governor soon comes back on soft spoolup right before I land.

This time I knew I didn't turn a anything off as I was very aware where i held my fingers and either my friend or I heard the voice calling in motor off. The logs shows motor switch being toggled off and on a couple of times.

Can this be static hits fooling the Neo? If a faulty switch or I caused it, the voice would sound. Logs are generated and stored in the Neo, so if a static hit caused this it would explain the logs?

Please help.. I don't want to fly this thing until I find out what this is

Below are the logs from the incidents:

Crash log:
18:16:15;2;Raised Vibration Level
18:16:25;3;High Vibration Level
18:16:35;3;High Vibration Level
18:16:45;3;High Vibration Level
18:16:55;2;Raised Vibration Level
18:17:06;4;Extreme Vibration Level
18:17:15;2;Raised Vibration Level
18:17:26;2;Raised Vibration Level
18:17:36;3;High Vibration Level
18:17:43;2;Governor Stop
18:17:44;1;Motorswitch Motor Off
18:17:46;3;High Vibration Level
18:17:46;3;The Cyclic Ring is active
18:17:47;3;The Cyclic Ring is active
18:17:47;3;The Cyclic Ring is active
18:17:48;3;The Cyclic Ring is active
18:17:48;2;Governor Active
18:17:48;1;Motorswitch Motor On
18:17:49;2;Governor Stop
18:17:49;1;Motorswitch Motor Off
18:17:56;4;Extreme Vibration Level

Remaiden log:
13:53:47;2;Raised Vibration Level
13:53:57;2;Raised Vibration Level
13:54:07;2;Raised Vibration Level
13:54:17;2;Raised Vibration Level
13:54:23;2;Governor Stop
13:54:23;1;Motorswitch Motor Off
13:54:24;2;Governor Active
13:54:24;1;Motorswitch Motor On
13:54:24;2;Governor Stop
13:54:25;2;Governor Active
13:54:25;1;Motorswitch Motor Off
13:54:25;1;Motorswitch Motor On
13:54:27;2;Raised Vibration Level
13:54:38;2;Raised Vibration Level
13:54:39;2;Governor Idle
13:54:39;1;Motorswitch Idle Bailout
13:54:42;2;Governor Stop
13:54:42;1;Motorswitch Motor Off
13:54:48;3;High Vibration Level
14:04:07;3;RC Voltage: 7.95V
RV
Re: Static hits?
November 29, 2017 07:48AM
Please give us more details, whin kind of receiver is in use?

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
November 29, 2017 08:23AM
Hi

This is Vbar Neo Vlink with Vbar Control.
November 29, 2017 08:51AM
Hi,

in the cut-outs from the logs, there is nothing hinting to lost input packets or a fail safe, which could cause the VBar to stop the motor.
All seems to be well and intentional.

Still, please check the antenna status display in VBar Control, if there's anything out of the ordinary.

Did the ESC show anything in the way of an error message, indicating why it could have shut down?
If there was a commutation error for example, this could cause an ESC to stop.
Or if there was a bad connection (connector, wire, loose contact), if the signal was lost for a fraction of a second the ESC would also stop but probably re-start slowly once the signal was back.

An other possible cause could be a bad switch, for that you can check the function of the switch in the mandatory switches panel, slowly force the switch to the next position and check if it switches properly, or if the display jumps to the next or last switch position randomly, especially at the pressure point, or if you push it beyond it's limit (use not too much force as not to break it ;-).

Or ... maybe you have a double, say the safety switch together with another option switch, where you can accidentally switch off the motor, overriding the motor logic.

Of course please also check the anti static kit, if it has contact even if you wiggle or slightly bend the tail boom: if especially the screw through the chassis would not safely penetrate the aluminum, motion and vibration could cause temporary loss of contact and then a static discharge could hit 'everywhere', if it hit the ESC wire or if the pulse caused too much interference, the ESC could stop even without a visible glitch (jump of the servos).

Does this VBar have a history, was it mounted on a different heli already, any mishaps?
Could also be that the ESC output socket has a loose soldering connection for example, you should be able to check for that if you wiggle the wires in a bench test, with the motor running, or with a servo instead of the ESC as a pointer.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
November 29, 2017 10:49AM
Hi Eddi

This Vbar and esc came directly from my old heli and into this one (no accidents).

I have had about 15 flights on other helis between the two incidents without any problem. Also, the voice for motor off/idle/run never spoke during the loss of power.

The strange thing here is that in the last log the motor switch is toggled from motor on, to off two times in just 1 second. I checked the motor switch during the auto and it was 100% on. The last events on the log is me switching to idle then off on the switch, and that played the audio.

I'll check the heli for bad wires.
November 29, 2017 01:45PM
Hi again,

one more thing comes to my mind: please also check the wires of the switches inside the radio, to see if they are harmed im some way, and also gently wiggle the connectors and the wires soldered to the switches, in the motor ON switch configuration, and check the log of a connected VBar if there is anything to be seen.

I take it you fly different helicopters and VBars with this radio? Or is it the only one?

Still trying to narrow down what could be the cause ...

Best,

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
November 29, 2017 03:17PM
I use this radio with all my other models as well, and have used it with at least two models between these to accidents.

I'll do some failtesting later tonight, thanks!
December 03, 2017 11:57AM
any update on this?
RV
December 03, 2017 04:01PM
the question is - what causes the motor switch to turn off/on.

Which Switch is for motor?

Cluod you please check if there is anything noticeable on the bench whlie touching the switch only?

Rainer Vetter

Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
December 04, 2017 02:44AM
I had slightly bend switch which caused the motor turn on/off/on again...... caused me headaches. New switch solved the problem.
RV
December 04, 2017 08:42AM
Knowing which switch it is and changing to another one (if reproduceable on the bench) would be a way to prove it.

Rainer Vetter

December 07, 2017 01:24AM
Hi again

Sorry for the delayed reply. I did check all my switches very closely but could not provoke the same error.

I might have found the error though: No continuity over the boom! When checking with my multimeter i found out the screw fastening the eyelet to the back of the frame was too short to make contact with the boom. I replaced it with another longer one, and now there is continuity all the way from tailbox to motor mount. Hopefully this ends these problems.

Still strange that the log have these entries with motor off\on. I`m heading out with this and two other helis on sunday, so we`ll see then.
RV
December 07, 2017 07:23AM
Well - don't risk anything please!

Please try on the bench first with the switch - and if any doubts - use another one. Either change mechanically (contact service for replacement) in the VBC or just configure another one temporarily to check.

Rainer Vetter

January 08, 2018 05:36AM
@ Runarsk, any update what solved the issue?thumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login