Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

neo sensor making tail drift

Posted by gashead 
neo sensor making tail drift
February 27, 2017 06:27PM
I currently have a v-bar neo on express, i'm just starting to set up, everything is fine and works as should, except for when i plug in the external sensor, the tail reacts differently after its plugged in.
On the bench when i have the external sensor not activated , if i push the tail left or right it will move and pretty much stay there when i let go of the sticks, if i do the same with the sensor activated, it slowly drifts all the way to the left, like some sort of imput is being applied.
Here is a video of what i mean????
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l399eDHAH8s
Re: neo sensor making tail drift
February 27, 2017 07:04PM
Why do you use the sensor?
There is no need.

Stephan
February 27, 2017 07:07PM
Because its being converted from an older silverline, on a Diablo helicopter, all the servo cable have been cut to length, the vbar itself hangs over the edge of the tray with a small shelf above, originally designed for a full size vbar, so i want to keep it the same with the least disruption
RV
February 27, 2017 08:55PM
Please use the NEO internal sensor only for best result.

Using a external one may give this effects in some cases.

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
February 27, 2017 10:40PM
RV Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please use the NEO internal sensor only for best
> result.
>
> Using a external one may give this effects in some
> cases.

Seriously????
So is it a faulty unit then???? I see nowhere in any description on any of your site to say this may happpen, I can't fit a full size neo on the tray space so need to use the external sensor????
If this is not fit for purpose and is only 3 days old can I have a refund on the sensor?????
RV
February 28, 2017 06:33AM
A littel bit less shouting here would be nice. We want to discuss things in a serious way - not like in other forums with too much !!! and ??? ;-)

Technical -the NEO initializes with the internal sensors - and if the external one is a bit off here (keep in mind all sensors are mechanical elements and may shift its zero positions a bit over time and usage due vibration etc.) - it will possibly give such effects.

Also - the external one has less resolution and precision won't be the same at all than the internal sensors. So there are 2 reasons not to use a external one - Except in environments you can't avoid it due vibration (i personally never had such helis) - but then you have to accept that a possible rescue (working with internals) might not work correctly.

At the end - place the NEO on a plate where it can do its work w/o the external is the best and cheapest solution.

Was this external one a used one with "history" or purchased with the NEO together?

Rainer Vetter

Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
February 28, 2017 06:59AM
Rainer
Shouting would be in capitals, adding a few question marks do not make this shouting.
When someone spends a lot of money on a product to then be told it might not work sometimes, you can see how someone may take offence to that?
If i fir the neo on its own to the shelf, it will only be sitting on there by maybe 50-60% and would be hanging over the edge, so the heli has a small shelf above where the main unit would sit, to house a sensor, like what i had previous fitted with the silverline full size vbar, which worked very well.hence why i bought the neo with sensor.
The new Neo with sensor was purchased brand new last week, both bought together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2017 07:47AM by gashead.
February 28, 2017 07:46AM
Can you extend the platform with a piece of carbon and put the neo on this?
RV
February 28, 2017 07:57AM
SO - ok - if it is the original sensor for this neo - please start a service case by clicking on the service symbol at your devices list here.

Rainer Vetter

February 28, 2017 07:59AM
Hi Stephan
I have thought about this, and yes it would be possible, only downside is the wires going into the neo would be very tight, not much slack on them, and I was always told to make sure wires are not to tight, unless things have now changed.
Still a little disappointing that I can't use a product that is brand new.
So back to my original question, what can be done to stop the tail drifting????
RV
February 28, 2017 08:13AM
Using the neo w/o external sensor as stated for best performance.

Rainer Vetter

February 28, 2017 08:41AM
Hi,

what you can also try is power up, let the heli sit for a minute, then power cycle again.
This way, both sensors (especially the external one) have settled and got to working temperature (all electronics get warm once they operate).
Now the second init could have a better result.

The external sensor still has it's use in particular environments, but we do not overly push it since the NEO's sensors are usually superior.

And sometimes it's Voodoo ... I had a customer who converted to NEOs pretty early, and just because he had the sensors on his models, from silverlines, he used them. Had a slow drift on both machines.

After some testing with different settings he sent them in, I tested both and had hardly any drift (only in hardcore-hovering like 15 degrees per minute, no sticks, which is negligible in real life and perfectly normal for sensors which have a spec of 0.5 degrees per second).
He got the sensor back, mounted them again and ... no more excess drift at his end either.

What we can offer, if the sensor is new and still covered by warranty: we can check it and see if it's a sensor issue, maybe replace it for good measure.

But still, if you have or can make up a proper mounting position on the model for the NEO (may require re-wiring of course), we would recommend using only the NEO for best results.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
February 28, 2017 05:58PM
Ok
So if there's one thing I have learnt in this hobby is to take advice from people who know better than yourself, so I have added an extended platform and completely rewired the Heli so I can use the neo with its internal sensors as advised by you guys, downside is I feel I have wasted my money buying the neo with additional sensor as it's not really recommended, and had i known this info before hand I would not have bought the neo with sensor and just the neo on its own, so i may as well just throw the sensor in the bin, which is what i will do.
Thx for all the advice received
March 01, 2017 08:24AM
Hi again,

why not sell the sensor? There are always people looking for a brand new one, as a replacement for a damaged one for a silverline main unit or as an upgrade for a black or blue VBar.

During my time in the hobby, I also purchased things from time to time because people said I would need them, or because I read on the forums, just to drop them soon because by my own experience they were not really needed or even causing trouble in my setup :-/ happens ... but it was always possible to pass the items on for a couple of euros so the lesson did not hurt that much.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login