Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cyclic range issue new 550SX

Posted by Ty89m 
Cyclic range issue new 550SX
May 30, 2018 07:44PM
Hey all,

Running Xpert R2 servos on my new 2017 kit 550SX with Neo, and using the recommended ball spacing and mikado horns I reach 8 degrees on cyclic at 70 on the slider. Recommended range is 80-100. Now, do I leave well enough alone as the linkage geometry is pretty good, or do I move in my hole on Mikado servo horn to get more throw/resolution? If I move in one hole, the control rods will end up looking like a tripod as opposed to vertical with the main shaft (or close to anyway).

Whats the best course of action? Move in a hole or leave it at 70 and fly?

Also, if I move the elevator ball in one hole, it'll be even worse geometry than the aileron servos. I've never done this, but what are the repercussions of leaving elevator servo ball spacing in middle hole, but running both aileron servos in first hole? Will having different resolutions cause issue?

Thanks!
Re: Cyclic range issue new 550SX
May 31, 2018 08:50AM
Hi,

in general, with good servos, you can leave the value at 70.

Some Servos seem to have a different throw than others, so with some, you get into the range of values, while with others, on the same model, you don't.

In any case, you should have the ball spacing equal all around, else you will get differentiation/intraction. You could compensate for this with the free swashplate configuration if there was no other way, though.

It's also always a compromise: if you have the control rods parallel to the shaft at zero collective, they will be at an increasing angle with increasing servo throw. If you have them at a slight angle at zero collective, they will move through a parallel position maybe at half the servo throw, then tilt the other way.

Bottom line, don't worry too much, go have fun grinning smiley

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
May 31, 2018 03:36PM
Thanks Eddi,

So what’s the preferred trade off I my case? Leave at correct ball spacing and sacrifice resolution, keeping at 70? Or move in on horn?

Like you said, I’ll probably leave it alone and quit worrying so much. Just mildly frustrating to spend the money on decent servos and not get the full performance out of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2018 03:37PM by Ty89m.
May 31, 2018 03:46PM
Hi,

I would probably leave it at 70 and try. I guess the trade-off is not too much, given the specs of the servos.

In all the specs I find I can read 60° angle, while other servos usually have 45-60° (which I take as regular throw plus trim).
Which could mean you have the regular, quasi-standard throw at 75 % (or 70 in the VBar ...).
Would at least serve as an explanation, although I did never have Xpert servos and do not have experience.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login