Willkommen! Einloggen - Log In Neuer Benutzer - New User

erweitert

governor input contains glitches

geschrieben von atomiccomp 
governor input contains glitches
28.08.2020 23:05:50
Hi,

I have a Nitro with a Vbar Silverline and a spektrum backplate sensor.

I found the Gov wasn't working as expected for example when the model is idling the RPM on my Vcontrol shows 900-1200. Once it gets airborne for a while it shows the correct RPM .

If I load the model up doing tic tocs and then level off the engine goes to full RPM (2200/2300 headspeed) and stays there for upto 5-10 seonds.

I asked a clubmate to watch the RPM display and it's all over the place for a while then settles down at 2200 RPM then slowly the head speed returns to normal (1950). On checking the logs I see 100's of 'governor input contains glitches'.

I have changed the backplate sensor to a new one, however the setup behaves exactly the same and I get the same messages in the log.

I am powering the sensor from the main servo bus (2S lipo) and the white sensor lead I have plugged into the sensor port.

Is it possible the VBAR is faulty? Is there a way to test it?

I appreciate any comments. Many thanks.
RV
Re: governor input contains glitches
29.08.2020 09:40:34
This is why i prefer magnet/hall sensors. Backplates are tricky depending on the backplate and crank metal.

To test the RPM ...

- get a patch cable (or just the signal wire from one)
- connect it from Tail servo output to RPM
- set Tail servo to 333 hz
- set gear to 10 and poles to 1
- display should be now 1999 RPM

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
06.09.2020 19:15:58
Hi,

I took your advice and changed to a magnet and sensor on the fan unit- the model is a goblin 700 black nitro.

I am still getting exactly the same issue. I purchased a brand new spartan sensor and magnets.

The FBL usnit is a silverline and I have a spare one so I swapped that over and the sensor and still my
log file is full of 'Governor input contains glitches'

So to recap, same issue on;
two different spectrum backplate sensors - both new
one spartan hall sensor and magnets fitted to the fan- again new.

2 different vbar silverline sensor/control box combos.

I ran the test;
- set Tail servo to 333 hz
- set gear to 10 and poles to 1 (there is no pole setting so I assumed you meant 'sensor config')
- display should be now 1999 RPM

The VBC will only allow me to set either 9.99 or 10.01 gear ratio which displays 859 and 861 respectively with the sensor signal lead connected to the tail servo port and the servo set to 333.
Since you didn't specify I assumed you meant have the gov in nitro mode and thats how I did the test.
RV
06.09.2020 21:39:43
Okay - i did re-check with a silverline.

So - i just checked it here with one - but te same result. The .01 difference of the gear doesn't matter, should be around 1990-2010 then with 333hz Tail, gear 10 and pole / dividre (your are right) 1.

With your far too low values - there might be a issue with the input. Please re-check and if still around 860 instead of 2000 - create a service request for the regarding devices. therefore use the icon in the device line here at your overview.

Rainer Vetter

Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.

1 mal bearbeitet. Zuletzt am 06.09.2020 21:40 von RV.
06.09.2020 23:24:25
Hi Rainer,

I've re checked them and still the same result. I think to find two units with exactly the same issue points to a firmware
or build issue and to be candid I'm appalled that such expensive equipment could develop the same fault. To be fair they don't even look good quality (build wise) so rather than service them I'm going to chuck them in the bin as I don't have any confidence in them and I certainly don't want models crashing because of them. I'm also going to chuck my blue line as that looks poorly built too.

I must also say and I mean this with the greatest respect to Mikado that I've never been so disatisfied with any RC stuff Ive ever purchased before buying this vbar kit I own, even the neos I have look cheap and poor quality and the VBC looks like a fisher price toy and doesn't have even hall effect gimbals. In addition the online documentation is vague and out of date and has been a constant source of frustration.

The only good thing about the above mentioned kit is that it flys superbly.

End of rant!

Many thanks for your help.
07.09.2020 11:38:14
Hi,

the hardware from the VBar Silverline main unit has been around for over 10 years now, and the software has seen the end of it's development in 2012, with some minor fixes. There are no bugs known.
Especially the main units are some of the most reliable pieces of RC electronics I've ever met, dealing with VBars since the first ones with aluminum gyro sensor hit the market.

There are so many units around and again so many units are being used on nitros that I can not second your suspicion about a build issue or a firmware issue, else the net would be full of them now.
Besides, the electric governor uses the same interface, for an rpm input signal.

If the loop back test works (connect any servo's signal lead to the Sensor II port, shows a low rpm (servo pulse) even if you don't change the pole count and gear ratio), the VBar is OK. It only needs a TTL type signal, and ground for reference.

If the VBar would not be OK, I can only imagine that the signal path or more likely, ground path to the Sensor II port have been insulted (read: damaged), and that can only happen if a wrong voltage is connected, or if a ground loop occurs, high currents going where they shouldn't, where there is not enough copper on the board. This could also damage the transistor inside the controller.

I understand that one might get carried away easily if things don't fall into place as expected smiling smiley

About VBar Control, there's no accounting for taste, obviously, but I think the standard gimbals we use have proven themselves worthy, over 6 years now.
If you want those in a radio, or if a differente design pleases you more, or different features have more appeal, why not go for that system?

Regarding your VBars again, you can always take up on our service offer: we can and will check your units, repair if reparable, or offer a replacement (current generation, VBar NEO) if not. It's always worth sending in I would dare say smiling smiley

Best,

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
RV
07.09.2020 14:29:52
One last guess ... are you sure you conneted the test lead at the tail servo output of the VBar instead the servo?

There might be another socket named Tail, but tis is a input which will give wrong readings of course.

Rainer Vetter

Sorry, in diesem Forum dürfen nur registrierte Benutzer schreiben.

Hier klicken um Dich einzuloggen- Click here to login