Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to Contact Mikado re: Replacement Starter One Way

Posted by bobc1@live.com 
How to Contact Mikado re: Replacement Starter One Way
July 07, 2019 12:01AM
I purchased and built a new Glogo. I really like the heli and it is the best flying heli I have flown yet in 19 years of RC nitro helis. The one way bearing on the starter shaft is very tight, even in perfect alignment, to the point that with the engine idling, forcing the starter coupling to stop spinning with the starter wand will almost kill the engine. The has been addressed by Kyle Dahl on the Vstabi forum for Glogo and I have posted the issue on there. I have received no response. I am flying the heli with the starter one way locked up for all practical purposes but it is not right. How do I contact someone in Mikado who actually will reply? Thx, Bob.
Re: How to Contact Mikado re: Replacement Starter One Way
July 08, 2019 09:48AM
Hi Bob,

the best thing would be deducting the actual cause with Kyle (no one knows the GLOGO and it's particularities better), and once we know which part(s) to replace, we will send them out to you asap.

Second best thing would be shooting an e-mail to service (at) mikado-heli (dot) de ... although we try and answer all the questions on the forum, it's always possible that something slips, sorry for that.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
July 08, 2019 12:06PM
Hi Bob,

how bad is it? I did ask Kyle and he said, there is some friction (sometimes more, sometimes less), which will at least spin the coupling if disconnected. This sounds logical, the coupling has hardly any weight or inertia, so the one-way will spin it.

If it's really tight, like the starter shaft will bog or kill the engine, one thing you can do is sand the shaft a bit, and lube it.

If it's really bad we can replace it, hoping that the next one will be a better fit.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
July 12, 2019 04:53AM
Thank you for the reply/interest.

When I was assembling the heli, I noticed that the starter shaft was very tight in the one way bearing in the clutch before I installed the clutch stack. I chucked the starter shaft in a drill press and polished the bearing race on the shaft. I also put a small amount of a light silicone grease inside the one way bearing. It was still very tight and NOT an alignment issue.

What is odd is that the shaft bearing race measured 9.95mm, which should be just fine for a 10mm one way bearing.

When the heli was first run/flown, it was impossible to stop the starter shaft rotation without killing the engine from an idle.

The heli has about 20 tanks through it and the starter shaft one way is getting better.

I have been intermittently stopping the starter shaft while the engine is idling for a few seconds at a time by holding the starter wand. It now slows the engine somewhat but is still getting better. It seems like it may be a one way bearing issue rather than the starter shaft bearing race dimension. The only other thing that I can think of is that the boss for the one way bearing is undersize and compressed the outer bearing race when installed. I really don't think this is possible, though and I believe if the boss was that much undersize, it would have completely damaged the bearing during installation.

I am hoping that it continues to improve.

Again, thanks for the response.

Bob
July 15, 2019 08:38AM
Hi Bob,

thank you for your feedback. It's really hard to tell what it is, but it seems to be running in, if slowly.

If there were any new issues developing, you know how to get to us.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login