Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tandem helicopter control parameter

Posted by Nhan Phan 
Tandem helicopter control parameter
January 16, 2024 06:53AM
Hi,

I have enabled Pro App on my Vtouch and load setup tandem helicopter, using configure Tandem in a Row, 1 vbar neo and H3, mean 3 servo/swashplate.

It is 700 size with three blades head, 690mm. The heli fly great, vbar neo does very good job, it keeps the heli like single rotor.

Howerver, with the default setup, I feel that cyclic control, especially the elevator control(forward, backward) is quick, it is 1.5x compare to single rotor 700 size helicopter. It is hard to explain, the feel is look like cyclic respone of trex 250 size, I ussually increase EXP to reduce the stick around center.

Which parameters I should adjust to reduce the cyclic repsone? Agility, style, cyclic gain, Exp.
And please explain in more detail about special parameter for tandem rotor: Mixer Elevator to tail, mixer tail to collective,...

One more thing, the heli has negative pitch, is this possible to do inverted with this kind of setup, from my observe, I see its control like single rotor except using ailerons for yaw/tail control.

Thank you
Re: Tandem helicopter control parameter
January 16, 2024 09:37AM
Hi,

I guess this is for Rainer to answer in-depth. But he's quite busy right now, with trade fair preparations and other shenanigans.

In general, Expo and Agility (dual rate in olde English ^^) should work the same as on a single-rotor.
Style and Gain 'only' affect the precision.

The mixers help with particularities of the dual rotor system. Since you need to work collective and cyclic also for torque compensation (tail), stick inputs to cyclic can even more affect the yaw axis, and if you use yaw extensively, interlock the rotors to do that, and also apply collective and cyclic, there's only so much swash plate deflection/aerodynamic leverage. Also for elevator, you use elevator plus collective differentiation (rear up front down or vice versa), and you also need headroom for stabilization and yaw control.

This leads to inverted. Technically it should work, and there's at least one pilot I know who ploughs his 2.3 m turbine chinook through loops and stuff, but in practice, you probably have only little control overhead, particularly in high load situations or (considerably) quick load changes.
You need to be prepared for situations where the model just doesn't react any more as expected, and you need to be prepared that your way out doesn't work quickly or at all, if such a 'wall cabinet' was suddenly hanging inverted, sideways, dead in the wind with flapping sails, figuratively speaking.

I'm not perfectly sure as to what to expect. For instance, with Flettner (tilted interleaving rotors side by side), there's an effect when the rotors pass through zero collective to negative, if I recall correctly, and that's been accounted for.

This leads back to Rainer, he read up on it during his work, down to the flight manuals for the full size winking smiley

—Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
RV
January 16, 2024 09:28PM
For Agility - Eddi stated it. Turn down Agility to 35 and the Optimizer also to 13 or so for a try.

Having a Tandem (2 Rotors in a row) the yaw is made with Diff Ail only - and it doesn't care if it is inverted. For Elev you can mix between Cyclic Elev and Elev by Diff Coll on each swash. Best is a bit more Diff Coll on the rear one, please ensure having enough throw.

On a Flettner we use Diff-Coll (better control and also the rotor system has its limit with blade-to-hub clearance at the inner blade on aileron) whic MUST be changed with a fading curve to Diff Elev before passing 0 deg - otherwise the yaw control increases instead of dampens ;-( - Read the flight manuals of the K-Max ....

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
January 17, 2024 12:49PM
Thank Eddi, RV for information,
I will try to turn down Agility and Optimizer.

Some more things:

Is this possible to use tandem with non-vlink device, I was thinking, copy macrocell AUX1 to CH4, and AUX2 to AUX1, so AUX2, 3 can use for RX-sat.

There are rarely manufacturers make and FBL support tandem, as I know Varioz has Tandem and it is only work with 3SX FBL, limit 4 servos only.
And now with VNEO, this is my DIY helicopter, I flight successfully, many my friends interested in this kind of heli, but the only way to flight is to have Vneo+Vtouch Pro.
If I setup the tandem with Vneo using VTouch pro app, can my friend who are using Vclassic, bind and fly? Or maybe save the setup and load to other neo? Or can be used with Spektrum or Futaba TX?

Finally, it should be nice to have a seperate firmware for this kind of helicopter in vbar neo, not VTouch pro app, like vplane or multicopter so I setup with any Vcontrol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2024 12:50PM by Nhan Phan.
January 17, 2024 01:55PM
Hi,

non VLink, never tried. If it's updatable (VLink Crossgrade + add Antenna wires), then please do this.
If not, this is a first gen VBar NEO in 2015/16, where the only way to migrate from non VLink to VLink/VBar Control was adding a satellite.
Technically, you'd only need to swap one cell (AUX2) if AUX3 is already unused.
Trying won't hurt, though.
Unless Rainer had a big-big no-no.
My no-no would be, the App addresses the macrocells in exactly one way. If you make changes, you're on your own, also with adjustments.

But honestly, what's another VBar NEO or EVO VLink, compared to the whole costs of the project?
Why endanger such a project with an old unit?

The next part is more positive :-)
You can bind and fly any model, with any VBar Control, even without the corresponding setup app. Bind, pre-flight, and you're good to go.

Lastly, another firmware makes absolutely no sense.
First, there's only a very small group of pilots who would use it, benefit from it.
Second, both firmwares would use the same algorithm anyway.
Third, macrocells would also be addressed/used anyway.
Fourth, the cost for the Pro/Value Pack stands in no relation to the overall costs of such a programming project (AND it includes some other goodies!), same goes for the costs of a VBar VLink Pro, and if we're talking large turbine helicopters, even a transmitter is only a considerably small fraction of the overall costs. I couldn't guess the number of hours which went into the studying and programming, so the cost for having this opportunity is almost a gift :-)
Fifth, the front-end (Pro App) can easily be modified, should need arise. Changing a firmware is a totally different story.
Sixth, also for a standalone firmware, you'd require a setup App (like the known ones), which would also have to be programmed and maintained. Six-a, VBar Control Classic will never be capable of this, was never meant/designed to be. Still you could make changes to the macrocells manually, if you know where and what to change.
Seventh, there are already so many firmware versions for an increasing number of corresponding hardware versions, which makes you think twice (and them some) before branching off another one.
And I guess there are more good reasons agains it :-)

So ... go VBar all-in, or go with the other options there are, on the market winking smiley

—Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
RV
January 17, 2024 07:53PM
Quote:
Technically, you'd only need to swap one cell (AUX2) if AUX3 is already unused.
Trying won't hurt, though.
Unless Rainer had a big-big no-no.

Use a VLink only. There is some programming for the UI in the App and it requires my MC setup strictly.

I agree with the other answers given from Eddi almost.

But - in my opinion ... keep it as it is with a VBC touch or EVO and get the Pro Value pack. Of course it can be flown with others - but at least it makes not much sense with 3rd party (not tested, no setup, no adjustments, no telemetry, no support) and limited sense with a VBC classic (no userinteface for setup and tandem specific adjustments, no support). I won't explain all MC and setup / adjustment dependencies in detail for non-VBCt/E users. This is why i made the UI and App for VBC t/E.

Don't get me wrong - the model can be flown with a classic - but at least as soon as adjustments are needed ...

Rainer Vetter

Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2024 08:05PM by RV.
January 18, 2024 09:53AM
Thank you Eddi, RV, I’m very excited about your comment on this matter.

Totally argee Vlink+VTouch are best choice, I feel alone or exlusive smiling smiley, because other pilots at my group do not use VTouch.

The reason I want to use RX-sat, I can place the sat outside the scale body, 180mm antenna is still short, maybe replace 250mm antenna is another choice.

Setting tandem with VTouch is never easier, my personal favorite, I usually setup helis with VTouch at home, do some first flights, do adjustment, check telemetry graph, once I feel the model is proven, I fly with vclassic, because its size fit my hands, lightweight, long time battery, 2-monthly charge vs 2-weekly charge.

Thank you again for bringing Vbar Neo to this kind of model.
January 18, 2024 12:18PM
Hi,

I see. In this case, I would recommend adding a VBasic as an Extender. This way, you have four antennas.
In setup, you can choose if you have/want a setup with one NEO, or with two.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
RV
January 18, 2024 02:18PM
I have also a solution for really strong external amtennas ... but for VBar EVO ... let me know...

Rainer Vetter

January 19, 2024 06:32PM
Extender is better with 4 antenna, but then Aux2,3 was take also.
I do not have Evo, if this is a general instruction then let me know first or need Evo to practice I will contact later when I obtain one.
January 19, 2024 06:35PM
Oh I see, with Extender, rear servo connect to Slave neo.
RV
January 19, 2024 10:00PM
Nope -it is not a general instruction. The App was made with 2 NEO's - but as you asked about the antennas i just want to let you know there is a external option on EVO's.

Rainer Vetter

January 23, 2024 10:57AM
I reduce Agility to 40, it is smoother.
Thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login