Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

slow tail wag

Posted by Marianovbar 
slow tail wag
March 18, 2024 02:18PM
Hi, i'm having issues with a slow tail wag on climbouts. I already decrease/increase coll. precomp and nothing happens... using scorpion gov and vbar gov same issue, i left it on scorpion gov.

Kst x1035 tail servo, 500hz frequency and Vbar EVO. The tail mechanics are not hard when i move.

https://youtu.be/Rn9snnfDZAw

Regards
Re: slow tail wag
March 18, 2024 04:08PM
Your Tail may need more gain! Looks like its way to low.

so long ... Uli
http://www.vstabi.de
March 18, 2024 04:08PM
Hi Mariano,

is the wag getting worse with higher rpm?

i once had something similar and the problem were bad thrust bearings in the tail
March 18, 2024 05:04PM
Hello guys. My thrust bearings and dumpers from the tail are new ones, also the bearings of blade holders. My tail gain is very low, like 35 because if i increase it, i have gear chatter from the motor and also to avoid that i had to decrease the P gain from gov. Maybe 13 tooth pinion works better for Hk5 535kv motor? So in that way i don't have gear chatter and increase my gain to don't break gears or the belt drive.

Regards
March 19, 2024 08:53AM
Hi,

please elaborate on gear chatter, I'm hearing that for the first time.
In the video, I can't seem to ID any odd noises, but that might be because of my computer speakers, which are not very HiFi ... plus the wind noise and all.

I mean, pinion/main gear has next to no play, and it's under load all the time, the belt, is, too, as are the bevel gears.

It may be necessary to lower the governor overall gain, for current ESCs, but otherwise, also if the Torque-Precompensation is set properly, you should be able to run way higher gains and have no tail blowouts at all.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
March 20, 2024 06:12PM
Hi eddie, i didn't show in the video but if i do fast tail reversals or big pitch inputs the motor, not the rotor, sounds like overspeeding or overgeared, that is why i had to lower my gains from gov and the tail to 35 or less, and still doing it in some agressive maneuvers.. i broke 2 belts because of that..

This is why i mentioned to change from 14 tooth to 13, to fix the "overspeeding" and have the chance to increase my tail gain.

Another thing to note is, this issue started when i changed my servos from savox to kst, before that with the same motor and pinion didn't happened. Has something to do with?

Regards
March 21, 2024 09:18AM
Hi,

to be honest, no idea. The Wiehenstroth brothers are flying the 700 with KST servos, and definitely not material-friendly.
I must say I also never heard of broken belts, on the 700, yet.

Technically, I would say the motor by itself can not overspeed unless something is slipping.

On the other hand, your motor has nominally like 2.5 % higher kV (probably negilgible on it's own) but also like 15 % more continuous power so I _guess_, with the 14 T pinion, high collective angles and/or longer blades (710 instead of 690) you could be over stressing the mechanics, at least if you do most aggressive maneuvers without accommodating e.g. with collective management or going a tiny bit easier on the sticks.
It's not only that of course, but probably the combination, the servos driven harder, too, they just do, they don't ask or look left or right winking smiley

The governor setup could also be a tell-tale, those high-bred electric motors, powerful ESCs and high-C batteries also simply deliver, if you let them, without much in the way of easing off the tiniest bit.

It's not that the 700 mechanics (mostly the same as the 800 mechanics, by the way) are weak, but there's certainly a point where too much is too much.
That being said, I'm only saying, I can not tell. Even if I had that model at hand, my flying would never bring it remotely to it's mechanical limits.

I'll try and put Alex on this topic, maybe he has some insights. He's maintaining the models also for his brother Marik, if anyone knows, it's him smiling smiley

—Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
March 31, 2024 08:34PM
Hi, i tested 13 tooth pinion and i was able to increase my tail gain like 20 points without any overspeeding and now is more stiff, also the motor has more torque. But i'm having a pwm too high now so after mid flight heli start to loose some rpm in some maneuvers and feels like less power as it gets close to the end of the flight.
Some advice to lower pwm scores?

Bigger blades and less rpm? lower gov gain? collective add?

Pics attached

Regards

RV
March 31, 2024 10:54PM
Have a look at the PWM in the graph. It is almost fully open - so there is no headroom for compensating any load.

=> less RPM for this gear ratio.

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
April 01, 2024 06:17AM
But.. 535kv x 44,4v / 10,46 = 2270 rpm and in the graphic with 100% pwm at the end of the flight i have like 2096

So why less?

Regards
RV
April 01, 2024 11:27AM
Sorry - it is the facts here.

Consider 3.7V/cell you used is the average voltage 50% full battery w/o load and efficiency calculated. So your estimation has some rework to do.

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
April 02, 2024 08:59AM
Hi,

that, plus the fact that the motor kV are usually only a ballpark figure.

My calculation would be, for a 12s drive, 535 x 44.4 V / 10.46 * .9 (load factor) = 2044 1/min sustained max. head speed from battery full to battery empty.

With a 6s drive, my empirical load factor would even be .8

There seem to be two ways, the European way, set up so the governor can maintain the requested head speed throughout the flight/battery, and the U.S. way, go full throttle and forget about it, and who needs a governor anyway winking smiley

In competition flying, there are, or must be, trade-offs, something in-between, for maximum performance as well as to get your three minutes' worth of flying time, as well as to protect the ESC, which has the least switching loss (and as a result, heat generation and dissipation) at full throttle.

Butt there are some given limits, like, you can not open throttle more than 100 % smiling smiley no matter if governed or if you set throttle manually.
And if the load becomes too high, collective/cyclic and tail combined, rpm has no other way than to drop.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
April 03, 2024 04:58AM
Hi guys, thanks to both for the explanation, i will set up again with the 14 tooth pinion.

Regards!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login