Willkommen! Einloggen - Log In Neuer Benutzer - New User

erweitert

vbar neo governor - poor performance - why?

geschrieben von ReadyToFly 
vbar neo governor - poor performance - why?
09.10.2018 23:48:06
Hello,
I am having a very hard time with the vbar e-governor.
It is a Neo on a logo 600 SE. Esc is a Castle Creations Ice 120 hv and the radio is a Vcontrol.
I give some hard collective inputs and can hear the governor chattering a lot. The more I punch, the more it chatters. Also, during elevator flips, the motor bogs a lot and then regain rpm again. I tried many governor gain values with no luck at all. The poor rpm management causes the tail to kick off frequently, ruining the flight.
Esc setting is "external governor" and the rpm sensor seems to be working right. On the ground I can reach the desired head speed, but, during flight, with collective and cyclic inputs, the governor just does not work well.
One thing I think is particularly odd is the chattering during collective pitch-punchs. It never stops chattering, no matter the gain value I use.
No unusual entry on the vbar log.
I had never had such an issue before. Usually, I had had little or no problem at all with the Vbar governor.
Now I think I need to mess with the governor expert parameters and was wondering witch one I should try first.
Has somebody experienced the same problem?
Thanks.

2 mal bearbeitet. Zuletzt am 10.10.2018 00:28 von ReadyToFly.
Re: vbar neo governor - poor performance - why?
10.10.2018 08:48:13
Hi RTF,

my best guess would be it's about the CC's settings, did you check this out?

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
10.10.2018 11:45:36
Hi,
ESC settings look good.
On the PC software there is a reset button (or something similar) on the governor tab. I do not remember having seen this on vcontrol. Is it mandatory to press this button before setting the e-governor?
Thanks.

1 mal bearbeitet. Zuletzt am 10.10.2018 11:46 von ReadyToFly.
10.10.2018 11:52:48
Hi again,

if you change the Governor Type in VBar Control, default parameters are written to the NEO. Here, selecting is all you need to do.
On the PC Software, it's like select and confirm (Reset writes the default parameters of the selected Governor Type). Here, it's mandatory to Reset it, if you want the changes to take effect.

Can you please elaborate on the 'chattering'? I can not picture it in my 'mental cinema' grinning smiley

And I would be curious to see the log file, at best read it from the unit itself using the PC Software (get all entries) so we have it all.
And to see the current setup file of course.

Best,

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
10.10.2018 19:27:39
Hi,

The chattering sound is like this: https://youtu.be/etXb0PSReak

It is that typical noise the motor makes when the governor gain is too high.

Every time I had a motor chattering like this in the past, all I had to do was lowering the governor gain, but not this time.

Is it possible to use the CC governor, but set the HS on Vcontrol? Not talking about having 3 possible fixed HS set on CC and choosing the one I want on Vcontrol via banks, but actually changing the CC HS on Vcontrol only.

Thanks.

2 mal bearbeitet. Zuletzt am 10.10.2018 21:44 von ReadyToFly.
11.10.2018 08:54:09
Hi,

what you can do is set the CC ESC to CC Governor and VBar Control to External (-> CC in this case) Governor.

Then, you can set throttle percentages instead of head speeds (like horizontal throttle lines, in a legacy radio), per bank.

I have a CC 160 in my scale ship, and several customer installations, and usually, if the ESC is set up properly according to the link above, they work with the VBar Governor just fine, even without changing governor settings (but collective and cyclic add maybe, depending on the model, head speed and style of flying).

If you make any changes manually in the ESC, like timing, frequency etc., it's a thing between the ESC and the motor, and if this causes e.g. commutation errors, this could sound weird (usually more like a screech) or even cause the ESC to stop the motor, for safety reasons.

I would try the CC's governor mode to see, and I would then reset everything (ESC and VBar Governor) to defaults, to try and see.
You wouldn't believe how often I had Q's about 'bad ESC behavior', and just setting it up again made it go away, although the respective pilot was always sure he hadn't made any 'weird' settings—I don't want to imply, it's just what I did experience, over the years.

Best,

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
11.10.2018 20:34:20
Ok, changed to external governor and it is flying great.

I am still willing to try the vbar governor. I was wondering if I should reset the governor only or the entire model. I have already seen weird things happening when not resetting the entire model, but had never seen a specific problem with the governor before.

A thing I did not mention is that this Neo was working with a Futaba radio before and now I am using a Vcontrol. Could it be the reason for the problem? I mean, should I reset the entire model when changing radios? If the answer is "yes", could I save a backup of the configuration to download it back just after resetting the model or do I have to redo the settings manually?

thanks.

3 mal bearbeitet. Zuletzt am 11.10.2018 20:40 von ReadyToFly.
12.10.2018 08:52:53
Hi RTF,

the Governor is a separate thing, no need to reset the whole model.
Also, if the VBar Governor (and throttle logic from VBar NEO) was used with a third party radio, if you bind to VBar Control (update to VLink or with an RX Sat), it's bind and fly, no changes need to be made (my own experience and how it's designed).

I'm afraid I've never seen that before, too.

For sake of completeness, if you would reset the VBar (means: create a new setup), and load back a saved setup, you would be back where you were before doing this, so this particular procedure would most probably not fix anything.

If it works now with the external Gov, I would re-program the ESC, select the electric Governor again, dial in the required values (pole count, gear ratio but nothing more) and compare back to back.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
Sorry, in diesem Forum dürfen nur registrierte Benutzer schreiben.

Hier klicken um Dich einzuloggen- Click here to login