Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rescue and nitro/gas dumb question

Posted by thebirdman 
Rescue and nitro/gas dumb question
July 18, 2021 11:39PM
As stated dumb question...
Bought a used neo vlink 2 years back that had rescue and totally forgot, never had rescue "active" on vcontrol so no "issue". this was installed on a agile 7.2 gasser and had the engine kill setup on the buddy switch, all was good.
Well bought a used logo 200 last week that had rescue and flew today for first time, This time I activated rescue on the vcontrol
to give it a go... all good, well also brought out the gasser after sitting for a year due to covid restrictions to fly again, and that's when I realized it had rescue also, It did not do anything "stupid" when I went too kill the engine? So my stupid question is:
Seeing bail-out and engine kill is setup on the same buddy switch, does one take presence over the other and how????

After my flight, landed and as usual allowed the blades to slow a bit and engine idle and hit the "engine kill" as I had always done, there was no rpm increase or pitch gain that I noticed, was just a little longer time for the engine to quit
"thinking better adjust that" , So sitting on the bench powered up, I lowered the servo travel a tad and hit the buddy switch to listen for any strain on the servo only to be surprised Rescue Active, Blades pitched up and heard throttle servo move

Have relocated the engine kill to a new switch, but confused as to why it did not increase the rpm and blade pitch ? when initially done after landing....that might have be a bad scene if your not expecting it sad smiley)

So that's the dumb question of the day smiling smiley

Birdman

Ok I get why... security and motor off switches were engaged....... silly me......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2021 11:45PM by thebirdman.
Re: Rescue and nitro/gas dumb question
July 19, 2021 08:59AM
Hi,

Quote:
Birdman
Seeing bail-out and engine kill is setup on the same buddy switch, does one take presence over the other and how????

It doesn't. It's your responsibility to assign your switches in a sensible way. Doubles can make sense (e.g. buddy / Rescue in a way so you can pull all the way through to save your buddy's a$$ grinning smiley, but in this context, it makes no sense, can even be dangerous—kill engine at hovering head speed, heli will jump with rescue and do a nice little blade stop-crash-landing grinning smiley

I guess you were lucky that the head speed was low enough so Rescue (collective) had no noticeable effect.
I also guess, with Kill+Rescue, throttle opened again a bit, with collective -> throttle mixing, collective add so the engine quit later.
On the bench, you saw that, too. Same as if you increase collective manually, the VBar opens throttle.

But it is not meant to increase RPM during a Rescue, RPM is always governed, no panic-full-throttle.

Security and Motor Switch do their jobs, too, of course. But still, it's not a good idea to combine Kill, Security and/or Motor Switch on one physical switch, either.

Lastly, if you intend to use Rescue on your Gasser, please check the Rescue Status display frequently, during a flight or two, like hover or land every minute to see. The vibration from IC engines and their gear boxes could affect the Rescue sensors over time. If the ball in the status display would not re-center every single time, Rescue would go where the ball goes, worst case, south.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
September 25, 2022 01:41PM
Tkx Eddie, going to swap that neo off the gasser with another model, unless one can just transfer the rescue to a different neo?
tkx
randy
September 26, 2022 09:01AM
Hi Randy,

transferring licenses is normally only meant to happen if you have a somehow unusable NEO, e.g. if it gets replaced during a service ticket (RMA).

But we can make exceptions: please downgrade your old NEO to Express using VBar Control Manager or VBar Control Touch, then let me know the serial no. (e-mail to service(at)mikado-heli(dot)de).

Then, I can remove the now free license, and send a voucher code with which you can buy a new one for free.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login