Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem when powering on my vbar control

Posted by trexian 
Problem when powering on my vbar control
June 12, 2018 08:38AM
Hi

Sometimes when i power on my v control the screen remains blank but i can still control the model. if i wail five minuets and then try it all is ok

Any idea why?

Ian
Re: Problem when powering on my vbar control
June 12, 2018 09:24AM
Hi Ian,

is it a transparent radio (clear, blue, green)? With blank, do you mean like nothing, or does it just not show the model screen but only the startup screen?

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
June 12, 2018 11:30AM
Hi Eddi

Yes it is transparent green and nothing displays on the screen, also is it possible to buy a new case as the bottom two screw locations have broken away?

Ian
June 12, 2018 11:58AM
Hi Ian,

with the transparent cases, it's a known issue, I'm afraid: the controller chip of the display is light sensitive. So if you turn on your radio in bright sunlight, the display (and only the display) might not start up.
If you turn it on in the shade, all is well. It's usually enough to turn your back to the sun, hold the radio in front of you so you shade it a bit, and voilĂ .

There is a fix, but it requires disassembling the radio so you can access the hidden side of the display (to the front/top case), and cover the controller chip with opaque tape.

In general, it's possible to replace the case (but cumbersome, move all items inside from one to the next), but at the moment we are short on spare cases, at least the colored or transparent ones, with he production of VBar Control Touch running.

If black would be an option, maybe with a custom kit (colored rubber parts etc.) ..?

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
June 12, 2018 12:03PM
Hi
Eddi

That makes sense as it works every time at home, i just need to remember to power up in the shade.
I only had green because that was all that was available, would prefer yellow but if black is the only option how do i get one?
Is there a part number?

Ian
June 12, 2018 12:21PM
Hi Ian,

would you mind creating a service request at www.vstabi.info/devices? This way I would have it on file (hard to keep track of things, on the forum), and can see what I can get for you.

Best,

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
June 12, 2018 01:39PM
Hi Eddi

I will create one now.

Thanks

Ian
August 13, 2018 09:20AM
Hi Eddi

Could you possibly post a picture of the chip i need to cover on my v control.
August 13, 2018 12:30PM
Hi,

here you go.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.

August 13, 2018 01:11PM
Thanks Eddi

I have done the mod as shown and it works fine now.

Any update on spare case availability this green plastic one has cracks on most of the crew posts inside the case.

Ian
August 13, 2018 01:47PM
Hi Ian,

I'm afraid not at the moment :-/ production is running full steam for the Touch.

But feel free to ask again now and then, I will try and keep it in mind, too.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
August 15, 2018 01:22AM
trexian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Eddi
>
> I have done the mod as shown and it works fine
> now.
>
> Any update on spare case availability this green
> plastic one has cracks on most of the crew posts
> inside the case.
>
> Ian

Hi, I have the vbar control with clear case and I have the problem too.

Can you share the mod ?

TIA
August 15, 2018 08:49AM
Hi,

please see above winking smiley

Cheers

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
August 15, 2018 01:39PM
Ok, To avoid damage ...somebody has a step by step of how dismount the display ...?

or perhaps exists a workaround.. for example can I wrap some sector the vbarcontrol with some type of tape in the outside to avoid the excesive bright sunlight

TIA
August 15, 2018 01:48PM
Hi,

we do not encourage fiddling with the radio, rather sending it in.

But ...

. disconnect the battery/ies
. disconnect both gimbals right and left, and the flat wire at the bottom
. unscrew the hex bolts holding the main board
. carefully lift the main board, the EDS Dial will fall out
. you will notice a resistance, look under the main board and disconnect the speaker
. now lift the main board to the antenna stub (it will open up, only being held by the wires in front, be careful)
. unscrew the four hex bolts holding the display
. apply tape to the display
. repeat the steps in reverse order to put everything back together
. mind the location of the wires, take photos before and in-between so you can check later
. mind that it's easy to get dust in between the glass surfaces, might be a PITA to get it cleaned again. If necessary, use a soft brush or very soft cloth, do not rub, do not scratch.

From the outside, I don't think it will work. Covering it with a finger for example doesn't, either, but holding it to your body with the back to the sun provides enough shadow. A surgeon might be able to apply the tape with only the main board flipped open, but I did never manage myself, at least not in a way that it held.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login