Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

VBC-evo froze and battery aging

Posted by Ddreus 
VBC-evo froze and battery aging
May 14, 2023 10:21PM
Hi,

Yesterday I had an issue with my VBC-evo. I was powering up my transmitter and my heli. At the moment i got the select battery screen my screen froze. I still had full control on the heli but te screen was not responding. I tried the power button on the back and I got the power button on the screen but was not able to push on it. I tried and tried but he would not respond. At that moment I tried holding the power button on the back but no response. After multiple times pushing the powerbutton the transmitter shut down. Then I was able to power him up again and the screen was working without any problem.

I didn't noticed it direct but at that moment my date-time was set back to 01-01-1970. I find out that it looks like the aging function also works back in time. The capacity of all the batteries I used after that been corrected from around 3270mAh to about 13900mAh. When I was back home and connected to the wifi the date-time got back to normal but my battery capacity did not "aged back" to normal. I would say that is not something you want right?

Kind regards,

Damir de Reus
Re: VBC-evo froze and battery aging
May 15, 2023 08:52AM
Hello Damir,

from remote, I can not tell about the first issue, with the screen freezing.

If you still had control, the radio link was still active (a safety feature, even if you would delete the user interface software mid-flight, you could still control your model), only the user interface froze. If it was upon connecting/selecting a battery, this could point to a corrupted battery file.

Holding the button 15-20 secs should switch off hard, but if you release only a bit, the countdown will start anew, this is why it possibly didn't work instantly.

But if the date-time is reset to Unix zero hour (01-01-1970 00:00:00), this means the power supply was cut.
Did you unplug the battery, to restart the radio?

The battery aging could be a result of the frozen software, or the hot switch-off: if the log files were not written/closed properly, they could contain erratic information.

I would suggest you connect to a computer, enable USB Stick-Mode in settings so you see a removable drive on the computer, and run file system diagnostics/repair on it.
If in doubt, we could also format the radio's internal drive, and set it up again using VBar Control Manager, then restore all files from the cloud.
In case batteries would remain with wrong data, they would need to be deleted and set up anew.
Unless Rainer knew a way to edit the files manually.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
May 16, 2023 09:35AM
Hello Damir,

we have inspected the files and folders in your cloud.

There are some flight log folders from 13-05 which are corrupted.
The logs inside have the unix zero time stamp 1.1.1970.
The last flight log before from 17-03 has a strange model name it it, with special characters.

Your radio was modified on 03-05, but for our customer's convenience, we leave the data on it untouched.

This suggests, whatever happened (and subsequently caused the troubles when the files were loaded again) must have happened earlier already, and maybe under circumstances caused by the reason of the product recall, some electrical shenanigans.

So doing a file system check/repair should do the job, and for good measure, delete the corrupted folders from your radio, and the corresponding flights from your cloud. Same for the battery with the now-wrong data, delete, set up again.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.

May 16, 2023 11:02AM
Hi Edward,

Thanks for your reply. I will take a look on that!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login