Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tail Rotor collective and cyclic compensation test and thoughts

Posted by OICU812 
Tail Rotor collective and cyclic compensation test and thoughts
August 28, 2022 07:44AM
So recently got to thinking with new servos being so fast and so much torque is the the collective and cyclic compensation truly needed? I have been speaking to many pro pilots lately and to my discovery literally many run zero comps in the TR menu. So well I try it myself, my numbers always way lower then default however I move them to zero. The result? A better flying heli, even when using internal governor on a scorp esc.

So it begs the question. I am certain when this feature came servos being a lot slower then now this was an improvement to get ahead of gyro. But now feels like an outdated feature aside from maybe a scale heli. Tonight with doing 3D completely eliminating a value for both collective and cyclic Suprised me that overall in all maneuvers I can do it was cleaner looking and feeling.

I’m the next updates if users are flying 3D Helis and such why default it so high or should it be made a user chooses to even use the comps option!

Thinking out loud. If you fly 3D try those values at zero. I was very suprised myself.
RV
Re: Tail Rotor collective and cyclic compensation test and thoughts
August 28, 2022 10:11AM
We are talking about VGov always as our preferred mode. This is where the VBar does the throttle and Load control - and so knows exactly what to do on the tail. The VGov acts on the load with the curve internally for the first moment - and so the tail has to do this too fast.

On other Gov's - we don't know what they are doing - but as they can not act - and they can only react on load changes (always a tad behind ...) - it might be right turning the compensation down as everything is delayed "behind" a stick move.

So - it depends what is right for your ESC (there are also many differencies) and mode used.

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
August 29, 2022 06:43AM
RV Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We are talking about VGov always as our preferred
> mode. This is where the VBar does the throttle and
> Load control - and so knows exactly what to do on
> the tail. The VGov acts on the load with the curve
> internally for the first moment - and so the tail
> has to do this too fast.
>
> On other Gov's - we don't know what they are doing
> - but as they can not act - and they can only
> react on load changes (always a tad behind ...) -
> it might be right turning the compensation down as
> everything is delayed "behind" a stick move.
>
> So - it depends what is right for your ESC (there
> are also many differencies) and mode used.

For certain. For clarity I also tried this on Vbar governor and got above 2000 rpm head speed on 3D type foyingnhaving the compensations to zero also improved overall
way Helis flew.

So was this maybe a greater thing when servos were slower with less torque and simply not as needed with todays technology perhaps?
August 29, 2022 09:12AM
Hi,

I go with: whatever works best for you. ESCs have become more aggressive, so they need much less adds, else they over-compensate.
This will also affect the tail, I would guess, so, depending on the overall setup, lesser adds can work better, there, too.

I'd say it's not not-needed, but I can very well imagine that there's less need, with everything becoming quicker, stronger.

I would still do the testing, do full-collective climb outs, see if the tail kicks, adjust, and adjust cyclic to approx 1/3 of that as a starting point.
Then compare to all zeroed out.

In the end: whatever works best for you, and for your overall setup.
I'd just not make it a general rule winking smiley

—Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login