Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Incorrect power consumption

Incorrect power consumption
June 19, 2022 07:24PM
Hello,

I have an Xlpower 550 with a Platinium 120A V4 (Firmware PL-04.0.07-Vbar) connected on a NEO Vlink. I use it with HRB 6s 4000 & 5000Mah lipos. The battery is configured to have 35% of capacity remaining. The controller is well recognized on my Vbar Control but the power consumption is incorrect. I note a difference +-20% on the real consumption compared to what is informed by the telemetry. Example my last flight, according to the radio, 2549Mah consumed (+-50%) but in reality 3500 Mah had been consumed, i.e. 70%.
I have this problem on the 3 lipos (new).

Where can this problem come from?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Jean Louis
RV
Re: Incorrect power consumption
June 19, 2022 08:30PM
We just display what the ESC telemetry delivers. So - if there is such a difference you should claim this at Hobbywing.

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
June 20, 2022 09:16AM
Hi,

as Rainer states, the ESC is measuring current and voltage, and the ESC is tapping out numbers to the VBar NEO.
If measurement or numbers are incorrect, the radio can not provide any better information :-/

Workaround: if it's linear and repeatable (e.g. always +20 %), you can adjust the total capacity or the remaining capacity of the batteries used _for this model/ESC_ in a way so you get the battery empty warning in time, as not to over discharge and damage the battery, or worse.
Of course, the numbers will still be incorrect.
And if you were using the same batteries on an OK-ESC, too, numbers and warning would then be off.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
June 20, 2022 09:27AM
Hi,

Thank you for these responses. I now know that it is from the ESC and not from bad programming/configuration in my VBAR. I'll ask Hobbywing.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Jean-Louis
June 20, 2022 04:06PM
@Jean-Louis
Hello. Could you post the solution if Hobbywing has an answer? I have the same problem
Best regards
Dieter
June 22, 2022 01:26PM
Hi,

Here's the response of Hobbywing :

Due to the limitations of the ESC volume and the accuracy of the current sampling element, the ESC power display will be error. Generally, the error of ESC is much smaller at higher currents, and there is a larger error when using lower currents.

Therefore, it is recommended that you refer to the quantity display as well as the voltage display.

No real solution given.

Best regards,

JL
RV
June 22, 2022 01:32PM
Especially - watch a voltage with its very dynamic change in flight ... useless (there is a voltage alarm included on the app ... but ... better dial in the start capacity or percentage in a way which don't damage the battery.

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
June 22, 2022 02:36PM
I think I'll put a VBar Control Current / Voltage / Capacity Sensor

It will be more careful.
June 27, 2022 08:47AM
Hi,

good idea. VBar Control is designed in a way so always the most accurate sensor is used.
Even if you connect the ESC's telemetry, and if a U/I sensor is detected, too, it's values are used, not the ones of the ESC.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
August 28, 2022 07:47AM
jl.mossoux@gmail.com Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think I'll put a VBar Control Current / Voltage
> / Capacity Sensor
>
> It will be more careful.

That is best. I’ve met many HW users who have had to do this. HW needs to address this imo not just leave it be as is.
August 29, 2022 09:04AM
Hi,

thing is, ESCs tend to have only a comparatively coarse current measuring capability built-in.

This works better or more reliably under constant loads, or at constant high loads, but not necessarily in the changing and also low load situations we have.
They can offer a correction factor which can be dialed in, to adjust measured values (guesstimated values ...) to actual values (charged capacity), but then, this tends to only work sufficiently for the flight profile you have it set for, not so precisely for different load situations. Like, if you do medium rpm circuits and aerobatics one flight, b*sh*t crazy 3D the other, and F3C the next.

That's more or less what HW also gave in their answer.

If a manufacturer would feel the need to address this, it would very much mean, new ESCs with different measuring techniques, or implement some sort of adaptive software correction, of the measured values.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
August 29, 2022 09:45AM
Try to adjust sampling time in the Battery Settings on VBCt. 0,2 works fine for me:

YGE 135 hvt esc. Delta of power consumtion from telemetry vs real consuption (from charger) about 9-10 mAh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2022 09:45AM by Jock_rst.
August 29, 2022 11:57AM
Hi,

YGE's current ESCs are pretty accurate to begin with, as far as I've been told.
I'm still flying old stuff, though, so I have no hands-on experience.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login