Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Align 470 ESC/GOV using VBCT.

Posted by blue 
Align 470 ESC/GOV using VBCT.
August 18, 2021 06:03PM
Hi all, I'm reasonably new to Mikado/VBar. Could someone please tell me (step by step) how to setup my align Trex 470 ESC and Governor, to my VBar Control Touch TX. I want to use the VBCT electric governor, so how then do i calibrate the align ESC. I seen a video on setup align/hobbywing end points with VBCT TX, is this just a part of the setup which i need, and now i need to setup the actual ESC using my own calibrating choices, eg, (brake/electronic/ect). What I'm really trying to ask is there two (2) separate calibrations to be done, (1) ESC. and (2) Governor. All and any help will be very much appreciated.
This is where I'm at now in VBCT TX setup/ trex 470.
Regards Patrick.
Re: Align 470 ESC/GOV using VBCT.
August 30, 2021 10:19AM
Hi Patrick,

please excuse the late reply.

I‘m afraid I can also only point you to the means: in Setup/Governor (all the way down), Output, you can enable collective stick control (to temporarily link the collective stick to the ESC output, for stick programming per the ESC‘s manual).

From that time on, you can control the output to the ESC using the collective stick, until you disable this again (close the window).

I‘m not familiar with HW ESCs, but it could be necessary to use a programming unit/box or computer program, to adjust more complex settings.

In general, there are two things necessary: bring the ESC to a suitable mode, and bring VBar Control to the corresponding suitable mode.

E.g. ESC to it‘s own governor mode, and VBar Control to _external_ governor mode. Then, you would only dial in throttle percentages in the radio, like horizontal throttle lines in conventional radios, like 60-75-90 % throttle for the three banks, and the ESC would do everything from spoolup to keeping head speed.
Or ESC to a non-governed mode w/ soft spoolup, and VBar Control to VBar Governor mode. Then, you would adjust your requested head speeds, like 1,900/2,100/2,300 1/min for the three banks, and the VBar NEO would do everything. This would require an rpm signal wire connected between ESC and VBar NEO.
If the ESC has telemetry (maybe available after an update only), VBar Control can display what information it gets from the ESC.

In VBar Governor mode, you can do further adjustments, but in almost all cases, it just works and needs no particular tweaking.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
October 12, 2021 01:19PM
Hi Eddi, i also must apologize for late reply, i got everything sorted, heli up and flying.
On a different topic, does Makido sell a GPS system with the return to home feature (RTH), to use with my Neo/ VBCT.
Regards Patrick.
October 12, 2021 01:29PM
Hello Patrick,

no we don't. We found that GPS alone is too imprecise and too slow, to handle a fast and highly dynamic aircraft like a helicopter.

Without reference on the ground (like a base station), deviations of a couple of meters (all directions around) and, worst case, a couple of 10 m vertical, and updates/fixes only every second, could have dangerous results.

We did tests in the past now and then, but we found that it was not yet suitable (read: safe, foolproof), so we put it off.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
October 13, 2021 04:31PM
Hi Eddi, thank you for this information and stay safe.
Regards Patrick.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login