Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tail gain for overspeed condition

Posted by robgt 
Tail gain for overspeed condition
August 12, 2020 02:00PM
Is it possible to set a reduced tail gain for an overspeed condition?
I can see in the flight log that the Neo knows what my highest RPM was. I am not sure if it can sense an overspeed RPM, or only an ESC driven RPM?
If it is possible for the Neo to sense when an overspeed condition is occurring, would it be possible to have a user defined gain value set, so the neo can drop the tail gain to avoid the tail wag seen when performing an overspeed?

Cheers,
Rob
Re: Tail gain for overspeed condition
August 12, 2020 03:03PM
Hi Rob,

it's already doing that, _if_ you are using the VBar Governor, but the reduction is not adjustable.

#thinkinghead winking smiley

Cheers

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
August 12, 2020 03:53PM
Hi Eddi,
I hope you are well my friend! :-)

I use the VBar Neo governor, but I got some serious high gain tail wag when doing an overspeed last weekend.
It seemed much worse than previous (still used to get some wag, but now I think about it, it was reduced as you mention), but perhaps this is since the latest firmware update has been applied to the model?
Previously it was on v6.1 firmware (now totally up to date at 6.4.xx very latest number). Not sure if this makes a difference?

Cheers,
Rob
August 13, 2020 12:49PM
Hi Rob,

I can not yet confirm, but I heard a couple of reports where customers said they had to lower the overall gain, after the update to 6.4.

The numbers are just numbers, so unless proven otherwise, if that’s the solution, fine by me. If the tail holds, it holds, no matter if 40 or 90 gain.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
August 13, 2020 01:23PM
Hi Eddi,
Agreed, gain value is just a number.
I will play around some more at the weekend if the weather allows!
I think the tail was perfect in all other parts of my flight though, thinking about it... we will see :-)
Cheers,
Rob
August 13, 2020 06:08PM
Hi
Have found that after update to 6.4 that the tail buzzes at certain times and maneuvers, all I did was to raise the antiwag to 5 and all the same as before.

Peter

VControl, VBar on all.
TDR, TDR2, TDF, TDS and TDSF
Peter
August 14, 2020 08:48AM
Hi Peter,

thank you for the feedback. Can you narrow it down to particular models, or was it the same for all?
Did you have tail gain set to the possible maximum (maybe –5 points or so), or just to a sensible value where it held properly, but not maxed out?

Trying to collect as much info as possible smiling smiley

Cheers

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
August 15, 2020 06:15AM
Eddi E. aus G. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Peter,
>
> thank you for the feedback. Can you narrow it down
> to particular models, or was it the same for all?
> Did you have tail gain set to the possible maximum
> (maybe –5 points or so), or just to a sensible
> value where it held properly, but not maxed out?
>
> Trying to collect as much info as possible smiling smiley
>
> Cheers
>
> Eddi
Hi Eddi

It was on my TDF and TDSF which had great tail performance before and even after the update, except for the occasional buzzing when tail is loaded in say a right hand funnel. Gain on tail before the update was not set to maximum until buzzing and then set it a few points back, but rather set until it performs well and then do an optimizer flight.

Another user with a few Goblins experienced the same but he has always set the tails to max gain.

Peter

VControl, VBar on all.
TDR, TDR2, TDF, TDS and TDSF
Peter
August 17, 2020 10:18AM
Hi Eddi,
I played with tail gain on my 700 at the weekend, but it did not resolve the issue.
I dropped the gain by 10 points, which helped the overspeed high gain wag issue a little bit, but I lost too much tail authority in simple 3D manoeuvres by doing this. The tail was now kicking in tic-tocs, for example.
I increased the tail gain by 6 points again (so still lower than where I started) and that helped the locked tail in 3D flight, but the overspeed high gain wag was still very present.
Not too sure why, but I think next week I will try removing the anti-wag value and test again to see if this is interfering somehow?
Just thought I would update my feedback for you.
Cheers,
Rob
August 17, 2020 12:03PM
Hi Rob,

please try. I'm not into these maneuvers myself. I'm not sure about the detection or exclusion rules for anti-wag, but I could imagine that the features interfere, at least if the tail wag suppression is set considerably high ...

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login