Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vario Usage

Posted by voetloos 
Vario Usage
July 19, 2020 06:31PM
Thank you VBar team. I must commend you on the solution you created. It works like anticipated. Viva Mikado. smileys with beer

Now, could I ask that you split the Speed and Height/Vario settings. Aviation in general uses Feet for Height/Vario which I prefer, Thus Height/Vario in meters or feet. Speed normally in knots but we can leave this out. Please seperate Speed from Height/Vario and Mp/h or Km/h. This would be musch appreciated.
Re: Vario Usage
July 26, 2020 06:37AM
Any update on this? Would also like to have altitude in feet and speed in km/h.

VControl, VBar on all.
TDR, TDR2, TDF, TDS and TDSF
Peter
RV
July 26, 2020 11:02AM
Not yet - but i personally would go a opposite way and drop all the single flags in all the apps. I would vote for a "general flag" in the VBCt which lets the user decide once at the general settings if he wants to have metric (which is the international ISO standard) or imperial dimensions for all values at once.

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
July 27, 2020 04:48AM
RV Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not yet - but i personally would go a opposite way
> and drop all the single flags in all the apps. I
> would vote for a "general flag" in the VBCt which
> lets the user decide once at the general settings
> if he wants to have metric (which is the
> international ISO standard) or imperial dimensions
> for all values at once.

Hi Rainer

Thanks for the reply. Yes metric might be the standard some day, but real aviation still uses feet for altitude and knots for speed. As limits to airspace worldwide are given in feet and we as model flyers must adhere to altitude restrictions in feet, it would be the standard for me and not meters.

Would be nice if the altitude and speed could be interdependently changed to our preferences. Altitude in feet and speed in km/h would be my preference.

Peter

VControl, VBar on all.
Peter
July 27, 2020 01:29PM
Hi Rainer,
The setup of the Vario can be for all models. I cannot see an advantage to specify per model. So if the settings overall can be set for speed and height independently would be great. As Peter elaborated. Only Russian airspace is metric. The rest of the world work in feet.

Thank you for your consideration
Regards
Pierre
August 05, 2020 08:54AM
Hi guys,

I'm not totally sure, but I guess the dimensions are system-wide, and affect voice output as well as all the readouts and log file entries where applicable.

Making every single bit adjustable and aligning it with the related functions would, or at least could, mess things up big-time, be a cause for errors now and in the future (you would have to ensure that every branching is always in line, and see to it that logic dependencies allow only the right overall setup).

Using flags to draw the proper calculation and dimensions seems much easier and safer.

My idea would be using three systems instead of the two now:

Metric (m km/h °C)
Imperial (ft mph °F)
Aviation (ft kts °??)

And here comes the question, what temperature scale is most common in aviation, iigir grinning smiley if i googled it right, both °C and °F are common, and conversion tables are used.

Of course you could add a fourth system

Metrisch (m km/h °C)
Imperial (ft mph °F)
Aviat (ft kts °C)
Aviat (ft kts °F)

Then, they all could-would works system wide, no matter which device or sensor was providing the raw data.

I'm not sure what's the best way to do it, but in any case we will have to keep in mind that it would mean a major rework, and that it should be done in a way so future development and maintenance is not becoming more complicated/tricky/time consuming.

Just thoughts smiling smiley

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
August 05, 2020 10:34AM
Hi Eddie
Thanks for a vert informative answer. It is basically Celsius in use worldwide but in the US the airport data is normally given as Fahrenheit and converted for use by the crew. Altitude is 99% in feet all over the world with a few exceptions were the decimal system is in used for altitude. Aviation uses knots for speed nearly exclusively with again a few exceptions in the world.

For us modelers the important part is to stay legal in the airspaces determined by aviation needs so altitude in feet, speed in kmh and temp in Celsius will be a nice feature.

Peter

VControl, VBar on all.
Peter
August 06, 2020 09:08AM
Hi Peter,

in Germany, we also have regulations (and who would have thought that grinning smiley) where you have to e.g. adhere to altitude levels like max. (and now it comes) 150 m or 300 m. Although those start permissions for official flying sites have obviously been granted by adhering to aviation regulations (altitude levels given in ft), the limits for modelers are—to the best of my knowledge—given metric.

If I had the limit given in ft, and I still prefer the metric system, I mean it's in my DNA, I'd roughly divide by three (like 300 ft -> 100 m), it's not accurate but probably already accurate enough, and for good measure, deduct like 10 % -> 90 m, which is good enough. The factor is roughly 3.28, it would really be 91.44 m.
The other way around, multiply by three (on the safe side) and for more accuracy, add 10 %.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login