Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

older jive 100+LV and vcontrol

Posted by cudaboy_71 
older jive 100+LV and vcontrol
October 19, 2018 01:14AM
So, I asked earlier about the vcontrol and gov. Seems nothing has changed at Kontronik. But, it's still a great ESC and gov. So, I decided to use it.

I haven't used this ESC since before I started using Vcontrol in 2016. The ESC worked when it was shelved 3 years ago. So, no accounting for shelf-rot. I am assuming it is still good.

I'm setting up a new model in Vcontrol. So, I loaded the new model (other 500). Then I went to the ESC wizard and chose kontronik gov. It loaded a new setup, then I get the screen to make sure the jumper is in (it is) and power down. etc.

I power down and power back up and no initialization beeps. I do have voltage on the BEC verified with multimeter. But, no beeps. On a hunch I flipped to motor on (not sure if that matters in esc setup or not) and moved to high-stick and i got the first set of initialization tones that is normally at low stick.

So, on any other TX I'd reverse the throttle. But, as far as I know there's no way to do that in VControl, right? Or, if there is, I've never had to do it.

How do I get low stick to initialize? Or am I using the wrong kontronik wizard?
RV
Re: older jive 100+LV and vcontrol
October 19, 2018 06:15AM
Did you program it in Mode 1 first to delete the "old" throttle endpoints?

Use the ESC wizard, program Mode 1 - and then Mode 4.

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
October 19, 2018 03:03PM
following the kontronik instructions, the first thing that should happen--regardless of programming mode 1 or 4 or 11) when plugging power to the ESC is to wait 2 seconds until you hear the 4 motor tones before removing the jumper. I'm never getting these 4 tones. So, no way to program mode 1.

I have about decided that this ESC is bad. I put on a spare Align ESC I had on the shelf as well and it programs fine (of course, using Other Wizard--not the Kontronik Gov Wizard). But, I also tried to program the ESC on my old spektrum DX7 and can't get tones at high or low stick. Maybe I'll just use the align gov with a phase sensor. I wasn't happy about using the kontronik gov anyway.

I guess my question was to make sure I was doing the Kontronik Gov Wizard sequence correctly. It sure seems like I am. But, I can only get the initialization tones at high stick after plugging in--never at low stick. But, if I pull of the jumper at high stick after the tones I get an ominous set of error tones. I was just wondering if somehow in the Kontronik gov wizard it might somehow be sending out high stick and low stick reversed. No chance?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2018 03:06PM by cudaboy_71.
RV
October 19, 2018 08:28PM
The Wizard for Kontronik does nothing than loading a basic setup to the VBar (set fixed output values, disabel V-Gov) and enable the direct control from stick to ESC socket - even on a powerdown.

This all could be done by selecting External Gov manually, then open the throttle panel, set to 100/100, allow stick access and keep it open even on powerdown for programming.

So - if there would be something wrong there would have been many posts here ...

Could you try to program mode1 w/o first 4 beep tones?

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
October 20, 2018 05:42AM
I took your suggestion and just ignored the fact that there are no initialization tones. It seems strange that this would happen. But, that was a good suggestion. It absolutely worked. I just plugged in power, waited 10 seconds or so, and pulled out the jumper. THEN it immediately made the correct tones from there through the rest of the programming process (setting mode 1). Then, I turned everything off and powered back up and repeated the process for programming mode 11 (still no initialization tones).

So, everything seemed to be working fine--except I still can't get the motor to spool up. I have safety switch disabled (I don't use it anyway). I flip in to motor run and the motor does nothing. With no startup tones I don't know if it is initialized or not. Oh well. Maybe I'll use an old Align ESC I have instead. I just didn't want to carry the extra weight of BEC that would be required.
October 22, 2018 08:58AM
Hi,

does the ESC's LED flash some kind of message, instead of the tones? Usually, it does at the same intervals as the beeps would occur, the beeps being brief actuations of the motor (the ESC has no speaker of sorts, it just triggers the motor to make noise, so—at times—the sound is very weak.

As you surely know, the ESC needs to 'see' motor off position, to initialize. A rare but then, again, common issue could be using a three-position-quick-brake switch, as the motor switch. This one's in IDLE position by default, so you would have to switch it all the way back to OFF to make the ESC initialize.

And ... sure safety is disabled, or is the motor logic disabled (actually the motor switch position to always off permanently)?
Worth a check, too.
You can always connect a servo instead of the ESC, to make the output visible. The ESC—if OK—should react to the same servo outputs. No outputs, or wrong outputs (for whatever reason), no joy.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
October 22, 2018 01:56PM
Thanks for the ideas Eddi/Rainer—

Even after trying on my DX7 with a regular DSM receiver I could not get any response. And, I did verify with a servo--a micro I have hanging off of the test receiver for just that reason. And, no LED lights to go by either. I'm not sure where the LED is supposed to be, but even in the dark there is nothing. Maybe the older jives didn't have an LED? Whatever the case, I'm putting this one back on the shelf--but, maybe the garbage is a better idea.

I have moved on. I put an old Align 100amp esc on with the BEC and a phase sensor. Everything is working perfectly now.
October 22, 2018 02:24PM
Hi,

all Jives I ever had had it here (attachment).

Once the beeping is done, it's off (here). Quite a task to capture it grinning smiley

Cheers

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login