Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vcontrol evo esc setup

Posted by David Heath 
Vcontrol evo esc setup
April 21, 2023 11:59PM
Hello,

Sorry for the newbie question again...

I am having trouble setting up the ESC with my new Evo and I'm sure its lack of understanding. The ESC is an Align RCE-BL100A Brushless ESC. I'm following the instructions as far as I can tell setting up the ESC end points. This works when I have the enable direct throttle but I feel I'm missing something during its calibration.

Are there any good setup tutorials you can point me to for this as I'm having trouble finding something suitable?

Once I have done the throttle calibration and its out of enable throttle the throttle no longer works and the motor run switch does not work either.

This model flew with a Futaba 760 before so the EVO is totally new to me. I'm just not understanding this motor run switch setting though I'm sure its very simple....

I don't have a clue how to set this ESC up for using the GOV either, can you point me in the right direct with what to do here to please?

Dave
RV
Re: Vcontrol evo esc setup
April 22, 2023 08:48PM
Hello,

ist this ESC updated with the HW programmer to a VBar Version?

If yes - no need to teach in anything ... just a relict from stone age ;-) - it is also programmable through the radio then.

If yes - the esc can be set with the VBar Control touch/evo easily. Just select the ESC mode while connected to model in model/setup.

Of course the HW app must be loaded and the telemetry cable connected from ESC to Vbar.

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
RV
April 22, 2023 08:56PM
Okay ... this ESC is not suitable for the HW Update - it is a V3 hardware ... old stuff to deal with now.

https://www.hobbywing.com/en/service/application.html?id=1

- can the ESC be programmed in the direct stick mode as per manual?
- does it then run being in this mode too?

Motor Switch is simple.

ONE switch with 3 positions. Off-IDLE-RUN.

- Toggling from OFF to Run starts the Motor and spools up.
- When the motor runs - and going back to IDLE - it has either a lower RPM (VGov) or is otherwise (if ESC can do) ready to abort a AR when toggling back to RUN with a fast spoolup
- Toggling to off - shuts down.

Rainer Vetter

Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
April 23, 2023 10:06AM
Hi Rainer,

Yes it can be programmed in the direct stick mode and seems to do the right things while setting the end points. And yes it does run in this mode, Spools up at around 40 percent stick movement I would suggest.

I have the motor run switch active and if you switch it to motor run it comes up in a red warning box, while connected to the model when switched it gives the voice response of off, motor idle and motor run but does not run the motor. I'm not familiar with this way of doing things and is there a setting I have missed?

The model and ESC were fitted with a Futaba 760 and worked fine before fitting the EVO.

I'm still none the wiser with how to setup the governor?

Dave
RV
April 23, 2023 02:45PM
Okay - as you state Percent ... i assume that you want to run the ESC internal governor.
In this case - set ESC as you did for its own Governor.
Then in Model Setup, gov section - enable the "External Gov"

Now leave setup.

Toggle from OFF to RUN - it should run the motor now.

If not - is there probably a Safety switch enabled/assigned? Watch out for a Padlock symbol at the throttle bar in main screen! In this case - either get used with this function or disable it by setting to "Safety OFF - Open" in the Switch assignments.

Rainer Vetter

April 23, 2023 05:41PM
Hi,

I would rather use the governor in the bar evo. I was just saying percent to give you an indication of when the throttle started to work with the amount of throttle stick movement.

Dave
April 23, 2023 06:15PM
Having just tried what you explained, I am not seeing the padlock symbol you mention. In fact in the main screen top left, it says bank switch number and then next to it it says motor and off. When I toggle the motor switch from off the run, The transmitter talks to me saying motor idle and motor run, but the top left Motor indication on the main screen stays off
RV
April 23, 2023 10:50PM
So - the throttle bar at the screen doesn't move then?

If so . anyway - check if there is a safety switch set - or probably fixed for being off.

Rainer Vetter

April 23, 2023 11:43PM
Hi Rainer,

Yes have found the safety switch and yes it was set and have now just turned it off and the motor run now works.

What is the purpose of the safety switch when the motor run does that safety job unlike a conventional FBL set up?

So now I have that working how do I tackle the Governor set-up with this ESC? Would I be right in thinking I would be better to use the Neo internal Gov? Or is that not possible with my ESC?

Regards,

Dave
RV
April 24, 2023 08:30PM
The safety is a secondary safety instance for carrying the model around if someone needs it. So - the handling will be both off , connect battery, carry model to the field, safety to on, motor to on, ar, off (as needed for flying) and safety in addition after final landing to off for safe carrying back. I never used this, one switch is enough for me.

To enable the VBar Gov:

- ensure rpm pulse comes from ESC and is connected to RPM
- set ESC to plain throttle mode
- click on the VBar Gov at the setup/ESC screen
- check gear ratio
- dial in headspeeds as likely then

Rainer Vetter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login