Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trouble locating tail rotor washers

Posted by hemp 
Trouble locating tail rotor washers
June 03, 2016 08:40AM
The Xxtreme manual suggests adding washers to remove back lash that builds as the umbrella gears wear during flight. I'm at a point where I need to address the slop, but can't seem to locate suitable washers. Any help with finding something compatible?

--
Shawn Hempel
Team MikadoUSA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2016 08:44AM by hemp.

Re: Trouble locating tail rotor washers
June 03, 2016 08:48AM
Hi Shawn,

that would be 04976, Mikado USA seems to have them in stock.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
June 05, 2016 01:35AM
Thanks Eddi.

I spent some time tracking this down and trying to understand it.

04976 is one of the part #'s, the main one. But there are actually three different washer sizes required to make the modification per the manual: 04976 to push the gear to the right, then 02003 and 02004 (x2) to make room on the opposite side of the rotor assembly. Alternatively I could shave some material off of the rotor shaft, but accurately removing 0.2mm evenly without a lathe or drill press would be tricky.

Mikado USA didn't have 02003 in stock, but they ordered some for me.

--
Shawn Hempel
Team MikadoUSA
June 06, 2016 03:15PM
Hi Shawn,

afaik e.g. Kyle used a cordless screwdriver and an exacto knife to mill off a bit of the plastic at the tail rotor side, then shimmed out the tail rotor there using 04976.
Once the tail rotor developed play again, he just moved one shim from right to left and that's that.

Making room with the smaller shims is the more end user friendly solution smiling smiley

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login