Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Broken bolts in Tail Case and Tail Boom Holder! how to remove them?

Posted by Flipper 76 
Broken bolts in Tail Case and Tail Boom Holder! how to remove them?
October 12, 2015 03:08AM
Hello Everyone,

I might have overtightened the bolts in the clamps that hold the tailboom in the tail case MIK04564 and in the Tail Boom Holder MIK04518. I broke one bolt in each! I think that vibration in flight finally did it, as when I tightened them I didn't notice I had broken them... but flights were normal, no noticeable wobbles or vibrations...

I've flown 30 times and went to check bolts and found this out!

Please see pictures attached for further reference...

Now I have 2 questions:

1- where can I get these replacement bolts? do you have a part number you could provide me with?
2- most importantly, how can I remove the bolt ends that were left in each of the aluminum parts?! Is there any way I can remove the broken bolts inside the aluminum parts so that I can insert new ones?

Thanks very much for your help and assitance here, what's the recommendation on torque for these?

Best Regards,

Flipper

Re: Broken bolts in Tail Case and Tail Boom Holder! how to remove them?
October 12, 2015 08:49AM
Hi,

as per the parts list, the bolts required are M 2,5 x 12, order no. 04651 (4 per set).

You can try and drill/dremel the remains so you can get a hold with a small tool, then heat up the metal part properly to make the loctite let go and hopefully be able to remove the ends.
Else you would need to get 04564 (the tail rotor housing including the bolts).

As to recommended torque, we have none :-/ we just hand-tighten equally and then give it a good twist with the wrist, for good measure.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
October 12, 2015 09:44PM
Thanks Eddi!

so just use a smaller drill to try to get the broken end of the bolt out? Is the drill not going to damage the thread inside the aluminum part?

Seems tricky but I'll try...

What about flying with only one bolt? there's still the other 2 security ones that go through the tail boom,besides the bolt that didn't break on each clamp...

Thanks and let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Felipe
October 13, 2015 08:24AM
Hi Felipe,

well, I was thinking of creating a hold for a tool in the remainder of the bolts, not drilling them out completely.

If you drill out the bolts (which is more difficult), you will probably damage the thread. Of course you could cut a larger diameter thread and use larger bolts (M 3 for example), but I myself would save me the hassle, I'm a little lazy when it comes to this kind of work.

I would not rely on only the remaining bolts, if in doubt get the new tail housing. It's not worth risking a 700 with all that's on it for a comparatively small amount of money ...

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
October 13, 2015 03:25PM
Thanks Eddi!

I'll try removing the bolt first, what kind of tool would I use you mean? That I would create the hold with the dremel?

Thanks,

Flipper
October 13, 2015 04:33PM
Hi again,

well, a small recess so you can use a suitable screw driver would be my attempt, and then heat it before trying to remove it, so it comes out more easily ... hopefully.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login