Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

800 Xxtreme with belt-drive

Posted by TeroS 
800 Xxtreme with belt-drive
August 01, 2015 09:12PM
I've been suffering from breaking bevel-gears ever since I got the motor replaced to a significantly more powerful engine. The bevel gears just do not take it.

Important!

I contacted Mikado and they (Specially Edward Eckstein!) have been very helpful and absolutely great to have been in touch with during the whole process, excellent customer-service as usual!

Also, there is NOTHING wrong with the construction of this lovely big bird, my flying-style combined to the big amount of torque available from the swapped engine simply breaks transmission-line to rear-blades, simple as that.

Anyway. Since belt-drive by construction is more allowing to sudden peaks of torque I was playing with the idea. And after searching the world wide wait and doing massive amount of measuring I ordered all the parts which came yesterday, all but the 2004-3M-09 belt. They seem to be out of stock everywhere (believe, tens of emails sent and received!) so there is now a delivery-time of 4-6 weeks on them.

So, what to do? Of, course the idea have to be tested so I assembled the setup with shorter tail boom to fit the main-pulley belt already on my shelf.

It came out pretty cute winking smiley Also, it works like charm and to verify correct function it had to be assembled in the heli and test run without blades in all orientations to be sure of any problems. Only point is that there was no problems. (so far...)

Because it looks so silly one wonders "would it fly..." so I just had to test.... grinning smiley

Short video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt0BAMHgJvY

REALLY windy so not much different thing to test but it was fun smiling smiley

I really should call this extra-small, XXS-treme smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2015 09:13PM by TeroS.

RV
Re: 800 Xxtreme with belt-drive
August 02, 2015 10:13AM
Logo XXTReme XXXS ;-)

I like the idea!

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
August 03, 2015 08:37AM
Hi Tero,

now you can even take it in your hand luggage to IRCHA, ain't that cool?

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
August 03, 2015 12:32PM
That is awesome!!!
August 03, 2015 02:03PM
800 short tail, maybe we should bring that to market ^^

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
August 30, 2015 01:28PM
Progress report:

Works! And it works really well! I have about 15 test-flights now with the 800 Belt-Xxtreme and I have found the joy of this hobby again smiling smiley

My monster-motor has always had enormous torque, but Kontronik have done some great job on Kosmik 200 4.6 update, the amount of torque available now is ridiculous. I had to raise my precomp in vbar from 25 to 59. The machine is now a power-moster without comparison. (Anyone have Velos I could try? grinning smiley)

Construction is the same as in pictures above with added tension-supports both front and back made with 3x8x4 bearings supporting the belt. I'll most likely do a write-up to my blog about this someday after next two weekends helimeetings.

Belt used is 2004-3M-09, this is the most suitable available. The rear tube had to be shortened about 2.5 mm but that is no issue at all. Also no bigger modifications needs to be done, a part from pulleys and 3x8x4 bearings everything is Mikado parts.
RV
August 30, 2015 07:37PM
smileys with beer

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login