Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Play in swash - logo 550

Posted by Mr. Mark 
Play in swash - logo 550
May 29, 2019 11:28PM
Hi,

I recently bought a new logo 550 and had some issues with both the tail thrust bearings and the swashplate. The bearings caused a tailwag, new thrust bearings fixed this for 95%

Also the swash has quite some play as seen in the video. On tic tocs and stops I have a head wobble which is probably due to the play in the swash. Is there a way to fix this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM0N543h6yQ

As much as I love the way the logo's fly this is not acceptable; we shouldn't need to spend more money after buying the kit to get it flying properly

Thanks,
Mark
Re: Play in swash - logo 550
May 31, 2019 10:41AM
Hi Mark,

regarding the tail, sorry to hear. Thrust bearings are bought-in parts, and although they are ordered to be of a defined good quality, we have noticed that on some, the radius of the tracks is not 100 % right, or the the ball cage in some cases bent or squeezed in a way so the balls don't run freely.
Since it is rather thin metal, you could also squeeze it accidentally upon mounting, but you could also (carefully) try and bend it back. Tiny-tiny, but possible.

If you run into such issues, please do not hesitate to contact your dealer or us directly, for a solution.

Regarding the swash plate, as you can see in your video, the small amount of play seems not to affect the blade angle.
Plus, under load, even in load changes, it will most probably not be noticeable. My experience: even if a rotor head has developed quite a bit of play over a long time, it does not really cause issues. Question is, where does it come from, can it be remedied?
I can not really tell from the video.

The head wobble is more likely caused by the dampening and/or something else being slightly off. At which head speed does it occur? Did you do the trim flight? Contrary to popular belief, the trim flight does not trim for a hover mainly, the VBar can handle even large offsets pretty well, but it helps unloading the control loop at the least torque, so in quick load changes (like tic tocs), there are no artifacts in the control loop, but it can react quickly and precisely to what's actually happening.

Best,

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login