Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stretched my 600sx to SE tuning help

Posted by Steve Smith 
Stretched my 600sx to SE tuning help
May 13, 2016 05:41AM
Been flying 600SX v1 for years. 10s 4000mah packs. Finally stretched and have 695 Cyclones.
695sx grips, SE 211mm main shaft, boom, 104 Kbdd tails. 5.3 pro full size vbar.

Now I can see it better since its bigger And I feel it seems to bounce on stops. (I'm not 100% sure it isn't my fingers), but I checked my main gain and find its at 70 and my tail gain is 75.

Is 90 for both a good start or a better setting to run?

What would you suggest I run on both?

Another note I am not sure exactly what head speed, but I suspect 1600 -1700 range. I plan on running it at a this medium speed. For some reason I have gained a minute of flight time and my batteries come down cooler than before..!!

Also in the advanced tail settings if its windy and piros seem to slow down slightly going into the wind is it the acceleration setting I increase?

Thanks guys I really enjoy flying this thing super sized.! Nice to fly this size again after many years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 05:42AM by Steve Smith.
Re: Stretched my 600sx to SE tuning help
May 13, 2016 08:50AM
Hi,

too high a gain will lead to audible oscillation (quick bouncing) first, on the tail also to a quick and hard tail wag (especially in FFF or hurricanes etc.).

The bounce you experience is most probably a thing for the Optimizer, which kind of calibrates the control loop for the main rotor (do stationary flips and rolls but not with full cyclic deflection, leave some room for the VBar to control the maneuvers and learn) and for the tail rotor (do quick and slower piros with hard and softer/defined stops).

Once you are content, turn off the Optimizers to preserve the status quo, else it will always change the flight behavior a little, over time.

After the stretch, of course also check cog and trims/do a new trim flight, it's a different helicopter now after all.

If the piros slow down, it's simply physics: either the tail thrust is not sufficient (head speed, blades, deflection, more rarely servo power) or too much (tail blades running into a stall because of too high deflection). I guess it's in FF or FFF and doing piros at the same time, and I would guess it's better one direction than the other, depending if the torque has to be compensated, too, or if it is helping.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 08:52AM by Eddi E. aus G..
May 13, 2016 02:32PM
Thanks Eddi.
Yes it certainly is an entire new heli. Very exciting.

cg is good if not better than before. I will run the optimizers and let you know how it goes.

Steve
May 24, 2016 02:34PM
I raised some gains - found out I was at 1800 head speed. (Jive esc) non Vbar gov.

Lowered it a bit to 1700-1750 will try that for a while. Flys simply amazing. Nailed an auto contest with it at our local fun fly !

So far my one way is holding up.

Steve
May 24, 2016 03:15PM
thumbs up

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
June 18, 2016 05:02AM
Just tried 6s 5000 pack at 100% throttle. Wow talk about float!

What would be the max pitch the Vbar can deal with safely? Can I go 15 without issues?

Is there a safe way to to set more pitch in Iu2 only? Maybe use bank switching for when running 10s and different bank for 6s? Then it wouldn't change with throttle hold....?

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2016 05:04AM by Steve Smith.
June 20, 2016 08:43AM
Hi,

the VBar doesn't mind about the maximum collective pitch, it's just physics which limit (mechanics/links, swashplate/guide, servos) so nothing binds or pops out, and the servos don't go limp in end positions eventually if the valid range of values is eventually exceeded. And it's the aerodynamics which may limit, too, in case the blades stall at very high angle of attack.

In your radio, you can use pitch curves, as well as in VBar Control, so you can set up for the maximum possible and use banks or the pitch curves in your radio.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login