Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Potential issue with new 550sx belt

Posted by PeteStewardson 
Potential issue with new 550sx belt
February 04, 2015 10:22AM
Hi,

I bought a 550SX VControl combo recently and have just finished building it up. I've found something that is bugging me a little thoguh so I thoguht I'd ask.

When I turn the head by hand it feels 'notchy' and not smooth. It's like I can definatley feel each tooth on the tail belt. If I loosen the tail this seems to reduce but it still does not feel completely smooth. If I turn the head backwards then it feels much smoother. Is this normal? My only experience of a belt driven heli is a 450 sized Chase 360 which is a much smaller belt.

I have just discovered a post on HeliFreak with someone having the same issue by the sound of it.

550sx belt notchy?

It sounds like his issue goes away when he removes the idler bearing, I haven't tried this yet but will when I get home.

Other than this issue the build has been a pleasure, please coudl someone tell me what the likely cause is and how to correct it, if it's not normal.
Re: Potential issue with new 550sx belt
February 04, 2015 10:28AM
Hi,

for a heli this 'small' size we use a very with and strong belt (due to it's purpose as a 3D machine and high loads on the tail).
Also the belt is a little bit stiff when new. After a dozen flights it runs much smoother and gets softer, it turns more easily over the small tail belt pulley.
So nothing to take care about. Simply fly more often winking smiley .

Jörg
February 04, 2015 10:36AM
That's good to hear, I've not flown it at all yet and was worried about vibrations.
February 05, 2015 05:16PM
Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Took her out for her maiden flight today...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login