Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DMSS satellite support?

Posted by jotto 
Re: DMSS satellite support?
May 03, 2012 07:20AM
Maybe.. although you would think that the Tx would not have any bearing on this as it surely is an Rx related feature/function as such.

I'm looking at purchasing a DMSS module for my 12X in the next day or two so I'll also do some checks on those data lines with my digital cro. While my 12X will not support telemetry, I am curious as to the Tx data being received and decoded by the remote Rx.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2012 07:33AM by costas.
May 03, 2012 07:35AM
A tx binds with the rx, that way it can control exactly how its binds i guess, tx/rx or just one.
Same as a spektrum can tell a satellite to bind in dsm2 or dsmx.
May 07, 2012 04:49PM
This is a copy of the email I just received from JR.

" Thank you for purchasing XG11 radio.

Concerning the question you have faxed us,@May 2nd 2012. unfortunately, current Remote receiver cannot be hook up to V-bar directly like what other radio manufacturer done ....

We have already obtained the protocol from Mikado so We should be able to comply with your requirement very soon.

We will provide necessary information through our Facebook page in future, Please visit us on our Facebook. "
May 15, 2012 03:45AM
Thanks for the heads-up 'rcheliaviator'. Looks like it will simply be a just a matter of time now then.

I was in hospital the last week and a half so I have not been able to provide any updates.

Anyway just out of curiosity, I just received my DMSS module for my 12X and a corresponding 8ch JR DMSS Rx which is supplied with the remote telemetry module RA01T.

Upon receiving it just yesterday I have done some quick testing in a controlled environment to confirm that the remote telemetry sat unit [RA01T] does indeed receive and decode signals from the Tx.

I shielded the two coaxial antennas from the main Rx to effectively mute the two internal rx's [2x blue leds inside main Rx would then just flash when out of Tx range]. At the same time the RA01T sat rx was connected and the servo connected to the Rx was still functioning.

Next step is to solder some wires to the RA01T so I can power it up on its own and check its data lines.

So we now can confirm that the RA01T is simply not just a telemetry Tx sat but is also acting as a sat Rx.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 03:50AM by costas.
May 15, 2012 06:22AM
OK - Just managed to solder some wires to my RA01T sat Tx/Rx.

The sat requires a regulated 3.3v supply which is normally provided by the main Rx unit. In this case I used a variable DC power supply to power the unit.

I managed to capture a trace on my CRO which seems like it repeats itself. There is a wide pulse of approx 12uS which then has a number of 4uS pulses which I assume form the main data from the sat Rx.

The total width of the data is around 184uS as you can see from the screen.

The unit has 4 pins. First two are GND, Power [+3.3V], the third seems to be the received Tx data stream and the 4th I can ony assume is the telemetry [no way to test atm] info as this seemed to have more random activity on this data line than what you see in the pic below.

Note that this data was captured with only the RA01T unit powered ON - The main Rx unit was not utilised at all. If the Tx is switched off then the module just flashes its blue LED and the data stream stops [disappears]. As soon as the Tx signal is switched back on, then it all comes back to life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 06:26AM by costas.
May 15, 2012 11:30AM
So go ahead and try to connect it to the vbar central unit. Left pin (orange) is regulated 3.3V, center (black) is ground and right (gray) is the input signal. Look if the vbar can decode the signal as one of the spektrum modes. If you look into the logfile you can check if the decoding works corrrectly.
If this is working, its just an special adapter.
From the pics it looks that JR is using much better components than the spektrum sats...

so long ... Uli
http://www.vstabi.de
May 15, 2012 12:45PM
No problem Uli - I'll do that tomorrow and see if it has the same encoding as Spektrum - You never know...smiling smiley

Component wise JR are using a Ti chip for the RF [not Cypress] and a Microchip PIC micro for the main CPU.

Soldering looks like it is quite high quality and the PCB looks better than what I have seen on other brands.

The internal SMD antenna is not too bad [should be ok for park flyer] but I would purchase the one with an external antenna for better RF reception if I was going to use as a sat Rx.
May 16, 2012 07:06AM
Hi Uli.

Connected the remote unit up to one of my VBAR units today but to no avail. While it powered up and connected to the Tx ok, it seems as JR are definitely utilising a different protocol to 'talk' to their remotes.

Tried all available Rx options for the remote but all resulted in random erratic servo movement and packet errors, RC Channel missing etc in the log.

Looks like a job for you guys now...smiling smiley to decode the stream.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2012 07:17AM by costas.
May 18, 2012 12:27PM
Hi Guys,

Is there anyone working on this subject??
May 18, 2012 10:11PM
It is currently not planned to support this, since JR has acknowledged that they will support the VBar digital protocol from their receivers. This is the better solution since it is officially specified and implemented. Maybe some asking will increase the interest to finish the development at JR winking smiley

so long ... Uli
DJB
September 21, 2012 06:55PM
Any more news yet on the JR and DMSS compliance.
Regards
dave
October 05, 2012 01:58AM
I am also awaiting news on this as well. All 3 of my vbar helis are now on dmss.
October 05, 2012 10:49AM
mhuffman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am also awaiting news on this as well. All 3 of
> my vbar helis are now on dmss.

Me too. Who do we need to nag?
October 05, 2012 07:23PM
We are waiting for JR too. They told us, that they are working on a serial protocol, and they already requested specs from us.

so long ... Uli
January 31, 2013 10:05AM
ulrich Wrote:
> We are waiting for JR too.

Looks like the wait maybe nearly over.

Many of you may have alreday seen this announcement but JR have announced a new Tx - The XG14 and part of the new package is a new Rx which sports an 'X-Bus' serial interface.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2013 11:03AM by costas.

January 31, 2013 10:52AM
Fingers crossed its what we are hoping for. I dont have any informations about this from JR...

so long ... Uli
January 31, 2013 11:02AM
First pics of the Tx and new Rx are from the Nuremberg Toy Fair.

No info/announcements on the JR Propo site as yet either.

April 15, 2013 09:34PM
Hello,

Does anyone know if there has been any updates regarding this subject? Did JR delivered what they promissed, the dmss satelittes capable running mikado protocols? I was actually considering getting a jr xg series but this sole issue has been holding me back, as I am sure does hold off many more. I hope JR is reading this as there are thousands of us who love our vbars and simplicity of connecting satelittes. I saw the ad for their sbus method but I like the satelittes route more. Does anyone know if anything has been developed since last JR communication here? Thnks guys
April 16, 2013 09:51PM
Unfortunately no new informations. Since some Mikado Team Pilots fly JR, they request it from time to time, but there is no new response.

It was never planned to use the sats, but the "s-bus" like method.

Ask JR, i doubt that they read this here...

so long ... Uli
June 07, 2013 07:46PM
ulrich Wrote:
> We are waiting for JR too. They told us, that they
> are working on a serial protocol, and they already
> requested specs from us.

what are the specs you have send them? is it like the graupner hott protocol or something else?
All the info I have at the moment

This is the brief information about the X-BUS™ system.
Please keep your eyes on us. This wonderful system will be soon ready.

The JR X-Bus™ Serial Communication system utilizes 2 modes of operation making it the most flexible and intelligent digital serial system available.

Mode: A - JR proprietary X-Bus™ communication protocol for Gyros and Servos –

Mode: B – Universal Compatibility
X-Bus is optimized to maintain maximum compatibility many of today’s most popular gyro systems including V-Bar™ or Beast-X™.

So I am very curious what the protocol is and if it really works with the vbar from the moment the xg14 is available.
June 07, 2013 10:37PM
Well call it "UDI", aka Universal Digital Interface. HOTT is very close, so it was simply recognizing the right identifiers. Thats what we sent them about 1,5 years ago. I do not have any further information how the progress is on this, but i think they are in the process of testing if currently. If they advertise it, they may work on it currently.

so long ... Uli
August 15, 2013 08:57AM
Has anybody tested xbus yet with a vbar?
I dont have a vbar at hand but it seems they have implemented the UDI (same as Multiplex M-link?) since it seems to be working on the Brain.
RV
August 15, 2013 09:54AM
We are currently workin on it with JR. I have a XG 14 with some prototype firmware here to test.

At this time it is JR's task to finalize it (2 small details must be changed according to our spec).
After this we will oficially release the needed things and also post an article about this.

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
August 15, 2013 11:44AM
Are these 2 changes needed for safe operation or just "extras"
Because I expect people are already using xbus with the vbar...
August 16, 2013 11:16AM
Good question. There are no releases for this today. So if they have released something, we dont know anything about it. Its safe if we test the release and acknowledge it. This is not the case currently. If it is ready, we will write a Entry at vstabi.info frontpage.

Sometimes the behaviour of Manufacturers is really strange... eye rolling smiley

so long ... Uli
August 16, 2013 11:33AM
well the XG14 is already for sale with the RG731BX (xbus receiver) and others already found out it seems to work with the vbar set to UDI. I dont know if they are already flying with it but if it seems to work on the bench then I suppose they will also try to fly with it...

But I guess I will have to wait for the announcement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 11:37AM by DannyvG.
August 16, 2013 02:39PM
'JR' moves in mysterious ways grinning smiley

Like Uli says: behind the scenes there are still one or two (non-critical afaik) issues that have to be addressed, then checked,
then we would add a few tiny things to the PC software to make it more comfortable for the end user, then go public.

But if they go ahead as they do, we can't help it, and we can not give a general 'thumbs up' before the release version has been finally tested.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login