Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How important is having tail setup exactly 2-3 deg against torque?

Posted by RadDuke 
How important is having tail setup exactly 2-3 deg against torque?
May 29, 2011 05:17PM
I have a Trex 700E with 115mm tail blades & BLS251. My precomp is 29 and the tail blades are about 4-5 deg against torque. I did this to help the VBar with the Jive governor's strong response.

Should I remove some of the tail pitch so it is only 2-3 or does it not really make that much of a difference?

The tail for the most part is very good in the 2200 headspeed range but I want to make sure it's setup the best it can be.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2011 05:17PM by RadDuke.
Re: How important is having tail setup exactly 2-3 deg against torque?
May 29, 2011 05:31PM
Well what does the trim flight reveal?

If it has to "post-trim" quite a lot, it's too much, if it doesn't, it fits.

— Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
May 30, 2011 03:55AM
Eddie,

I didn't run a trim flight because it flies so well. I attached my ST2 bank. The optimizer value is 76/10. Precomp is 29/16.

What do you think?

Matt
Attachments:
open | download - T700E-bank0.vbr (5.4 KB)
May 30, 2011 09:59PM
Do the Trimflight. If ou do not like the result, you can clear the Trims so you have the current setting. So its no risk.

so long ... Uli
http://www.vstabi.de
May 31, 2011 04:10AM
I wil do a trim flight next time with no wind. I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for so I'll post back after its done. Thank you!

Matt
June 01, 2011 07:29AM
I think the trim is a good idea, but i could not tell any difference in flight after
June 01, 2011 02:22PM
I could tell the difference - the heli was flipping backward when on the ground.
Seemed quite dangerous.
There must be really NO wind for the trim flight, that is why i still did not done proper trim flight, and it is almost one year and over 400 starts.
Proper mechanical setup seems to be enough, unfortunately the tail is a bit complex thing, so trim flight could help.
The 2-3 degrees seems to be important, if you notice any problems (uneven tail stops).
June 01, 2011 05:18PM
Aside from the symmetry its only a test. You can see clearly how the trim algorithm adjusts the tail to get a steady hover. So if everyhting is adjusted mechanically, you can clear the trim afterwards with no other ill effects.

You can decide if the tail is ok, or if it is far off the neutral position. If the Bar is lets say lower than 20% off, this is quite good. If it is more, you may adjust it mechanically and redo the trimflight to check.

The position effects the symmetry of the tail. Its not really critical, since the tail is heading lock, so the reall center position is found automatically. But it effects the throws that are available in both directions, and that in fact is very important on a symmetric stopping behaviour of the tail.

so long ... Uli
http://www.vstabi.de
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login