Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Feature request: audible reminder/force bank 1 after throttle kill

Posted by cudaboy_71 
Feature request: audible reminder/force bank 1 after throttle kill
February 19, 2018 11:13PM
I’m a creature of habit. I think we all are. And, after flying electrics exclusively on vcontrol for so many years, adding a nitro to the fleet is sure to shake things up. And, today it finally bit me.

So, since forever with vcontrol, I have always left my flight mode switch in bank 2 after Flying. Motor off kills an electric, and that is all that was ever needed.

So, I carefully adjusted my startup procedure for nitro, and have had 3 gallons of success until today—when I forgot to put my bank switch back to 1 (direct throttle). It’s a mistake 100%. Completely my fault. Nothing wrong with the vcontrol, and it worked completely as designed and expected. But, of course it hot started.

So, all of that story just to explain my request for an audible reminder—maybe even a lockout preventing any other radio use—after hitting throttle cut switch.

In my mind it would be similar warning and lockout as when turning on vcontrol with motor switch on. Only, in this case it would warn the user to move bank switch to 1 and low stick after hitting the kill switch. And, of course this would only be applicable when nitro software is running.

Anyway, just an idea to save fingers and clutch liner. If I’ve already done it with less than 20 nitro flights I’m probably prone to do it again :-o
RV
Re: Feature request: audible reminder/force bank 1 after throttle kill
February 19, 2018 11:39PM
Thanks for the idea - but - did you ever consider to start the nitro like a electric, like i do?

I don't have this direct bank enabled - and just do it this way:

- Killswitch to run
- Motor Switch to Stop (which means idle on a nitro)
- Glow Switch on
- turn on motor (alter idle if needed with dial - but at least twice a year from summer to winter and back)
- Glow off
- bring it out to the field
- set collective at approx. zero
- flip from Stop to Run - and let the spoolup (ramp limit 2) do the rest.

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
February 19, 2018 11:50PM
I think your procedure would be great once the weather is more consistent week to week. But, last week it was 24C, but today only 5C. So, on cold days it is often more convenient to use direct throttle to get the motor running for the first flight of the day than trying to adjust global idle.

Maybe I need to rethink that idea confused smiley

It really is a series of events that let to the hot start today. First, since I’m right-handed I start with the throttle linkage facing away from me. Otherwise I may have seen the throttle advancing to full. Next the cold weather requiring manual throttle adjustment (which was doing nothing anyway since it was full open anyway). Third, I just need a few more gallons of nitro to set my habits of starting.

I will definitely be thinking more about the start procedure from now on.
RV
February 20, 2018 12:10AM
Quote:
I think your procedure would be great once the weather is more consistent week to week. But, last week it was 24C, but today only 5C. So, on cold days it is often more convenient to use direct throttle to get the motor running for the first flight of the day than trying to adjust global idle.

Ok - point for you. Maybe i can help you with a MC setting which allows you to (fix) assign a poti for altering the idle in a limited bandwidth?

Rainer Vetter

Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
February 20, 2018 01:04AM
Quote:
Maybe i can help you with a MC setting which allows you to (fix) assign a poti for altering the idle in a limited bandwidth?

OH!! I like this idea...especially the limited bandwidth part.

But, I've never entered the macrocells domain---it seems very complicated and potential for setting wrong with bad results may be high. do you have instructions for walking me through precisely?

thanks for the idea and offer of help!
February 20, 2018 01:51AM
I would be keen to learn this also. I thought that you were no longer able to adjust the idle with the poti?
I thought an update stopped this but may well be wrong, it happens occasionally winking smiley
RV
February 20, 2018 11:40AM
Welll ... i will post later how to do ... nothing complicated, just a additive mixer ....

Rainer Vetter

February 26, 2018 09:35PM
I'am interested...looking forward of you'r MC setting for a poti for Idl
RV
February 26, 2018 11:41PM
Sorry for delay - and thanks for the reminder ;-)

Just a simple task:

Set up the Nitro gov as usual, select a idle value representing the "middle" of all weather-depending used values. Eg. if you use between 30 and 40 - set to 35.

Set up the ESC Output with a mixer cell as shown here. Please use only a small amount from the poti as it is not integrated in the full open/close carb setting. So use 5 points and have a look that the carb is fully opened when the lowest poti value is set - and fully closed when the highest one is set too. Maybe it requires a few points (5) more for off and full throttle.

Rainer Vetter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2018 11:42PM by RV.

February 27, 2018 01:10AM
THANK YOU RAINER!!! That works great. I just created a video as well that I'm uploading to youtube as I type. I'll post the link when it's done for anyone interested.

[edit] video finally uploaded. Looks fine on the bench, but I won't be able to test until the coming weekend. so, caveat emptor
skip to 4:06 if you want to just see the procedure and ignore me re-explaining why this might be done.

https://youtu.be/9y4SS_610Uk?t=4m6s

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2018 05:41AM by cudaboy_71.
February 27, 2018 12:54PM
@Rainer, thanks for the explanation, can’t wait to try it out.

@cudaboy great video, I will use when setting mine up. I like your screen setup, is it possible to get your template?
February 27, 2018 06:41PM
@Flat Eric

attached is my screen file, zipped. It should decompress to 'largescreen.usr'. Rename as appropriate for your needs.
Attachments:
open | download - largename.zip (774 bytes)
March 06, 2018 05:32PM
Just thought I'd follow up; I had a chance to fly a couple of tanks this past weekend. This MC mix works GREAT!!! Exactly what I needed. Thanks Rainer for the great idea and the instructions to do it.
RV
March 06, 2018 05:50PM
smileys with beer

Rainer Vetter

April 06, 2018 03:43AM
Just want to open this discussion some more. After some weeks of flying, the poti1 mix has worked perfectly for me. Between flying electric and nitro helis, there is virtually no difference in starting procedure--which bit me before.

But, I noticed that my engine seemed a bit sluggish and not keeping headspeed as well as before. After examining, I see that if the poti knob is turned down (back to normal idle once warmed up) that when I flip in to motor run, that the throttle will never advance to full throttle. It is short by the amount adjusted in the mix. Once I discovered this I have started turning the poti knob to max after the helicopter spools up. But, this is less convenient than the old startup procedure. Additionally, I have to remember to turn the poti knob back down to land, or autos have the headspeed too high.

Similarly, but not nearly as inconvenient--when the poti knob is turned down to minimum/normal idle, the kill throttle switch overdrives the servo. For me I have kill set to a momentary switch. So, it is only briefly. But, still not very healthy for the servo.

I briefly tried re-setting my throttle servo endpoints. But, even with the mix enabled the old endpoints are fine. I would have to set max throttle to overdrive the servo arbitrarily as I make trial and error changes with the mix.

Any advice for fixing this that might be simpler?
RV
April 06, 2018 04:22PM
Yep - we have adressed this at the new VBC-touch ;-)

Rainer Vetter

April 09, 2018 08:12PM
"This issue addressed in the VBC-Touch" , does this mean that certain things will be enhanced in the Touch but not the V.1 VBC ? Will there be functions and enhancments stored in the neo that will not be addressable by the older VBC ?

Please feel free to move this to a new topic if so desired.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2018 08:12PM by voetloos.
RV
April 09, 2018 08:19PM
Well - as soon as we have delivered the VBC2 and everything works well there - we would have a look to the current VBC (which will be in production too) what we can transfer to this devices. There are some ideas which will be checked altough different hardware and programming. But please be patient, this process will take time of course.

Rainer Vetter

June 20, 2018 08:24PM
Any news ? .. Thanks in advance
RV
June 21, 2018 07:32AM
Nope - sorry but our manpower is till on VBC-t which must be on focus there for a while after release of course.

Rainer Vetter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login