Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trouble setting up VControl with Xicoy turbine ECU

Posted by Dave the Jeep 
Trouble setting up VControl with Xicoy turbine ECU
February 01, 2018 08:50PM
I have just converted from JR to VControl and so far am well impressed its awesome and definitely the way forward.

Now I have set up my electrics and nitro no problems, however I am really struggling with my Turbine and would appreciate some guidance and help.

The turbine is a Wren 44 in a TRex 700, which flew on the Neo fitted and JR XG14 with no issues.

I am trying to get the VControl to see the Xicoy ECU and vice versa for setting throttle max and min.

So, when setting up I am using the motor switch to speak with the ECU :
Stick up (full power) is motor run
Stick down (stop) is motor stop
Stick down (idle) is idle – centre position.

My End points are set at high 120 and low 118 which gives a pulse reading of 2024 and 1004 on the ECU – ideal for the turbine to see each end of the scale – or so I thought. The throttle direction is set as normal.

After a reboot of the ECU the screen indicates “sticklo” meaning the servo (throttle) needs reversing, so into the menu again and reversed the setting. Then the stick reading is reversed, so essentially the ECU is now reading a low point of 2024 and high of 1004. So its ok direction wise for the ECU but stick direction for pulse sensing is reversed…

I have set up direct throttle on Bank 1 with OP sw2 as the motor cut and 3 macrocells special throttle curves with Bank 1 being linear.

I cannot for the life of me get the ECU to indicate trim low and ready and therefore start the turbine and more importantly switch it off….

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
RV
Re: Trouble setting up VControl with Xicoy turbine ECU
February 01, 2018 10:12PM
Hmmm - sounds ok for first view.

Is there a manaul for the ECU available?

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
February 01, 2018 10:24PM
RV
February 02, 2018 08:20AM
OK - please tell me to be sure:

How is the ECU signal reading when teaching:

- Full (image 4 on p24)
- Stop (image 5)
- Idle (image 6)

And - was the RX turned off at low trim as stated in p24 bottom?
And - is it turned on with low trim?

Rainer Vetter

Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
February 02, 2018 07:27PM
HI Ranier,

Unfortunately you cannot read the Pulse output once in the setup menu, as its a different screen setting.

However I can confirm below after the set up has been completed.

- Full (image 4 on p24) 2024 (end point of 120 on VBC) (Motor Run sw on and motor cut (OP2) to run)
- Stop (image 5) 1059 (end point of 105 on VBC) Motor switch to off and motor cut sw to off
- Idle (image 6) 1171 (Governor idle set @ 26 on VBC) Motor sw to idle and motor cut sw to run

Note: direct throttle has been disabled to get this far.

And - was the RX turned off at low trim as stated in p24 bottom? confirmed yes
And - is it turned on with low trim? it is now

Once exiting the setup screen with the up arrow on the ECU, it reads Trim Low, then reboot as directed.

Finally figured out the problem...

The idle setting was too low, once it was brought up to 33 on the VBC, this then gave the ECU the message that the idle was higher than the cut off point, 26 and lower was not giving the ECU the correct reading for idle, also the direct throttle on bank 1 had to be disabled during setup

So final settings that made the system work were:
High 120
Idle 33
Low 105

Hopefully this may help others setting a turbine up..

Test fly at the weekend.

Thanks for the help
RV
February 02, 2018 08:38PM
Thanks for feedback!

It would have been a way to display the output on a dummy macrocell too ;-)

Rainer Vetter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login