Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Servo stepping on pitch changes

Posted by RichardV 
Servo stepping on pitch changes
October 17, 2017 03:02PM
I'm running Align BL815H servos on cyclic, and they are stepping instead of being smooth. It's not noticeable when moving collective slowly, but at medium to fast speeds the servos judder and everything rattles.

The servo pulse is 1520µs and frequency is 333Hz, which match what the NEO puts out AFAIK. I'm using a 2 cell LiPo receiver pack. The 2nd video has 2 servos unplugged, just showing the single servo with juddering, so I guess it's not a power issue.

The video might not show the juddering clearly, but you will be able to hear it. The swash moves smoothly and there is no sticking when moving by hand.

Cyclic 3 on YouTube

Cyclic 1 on YouTube

Any ideas?

Thanks
Richard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2017 05:17PM by RichardV.
Re: Servo stepping on pitch changes
October 18, 2017 09:06AM
When I put the servos on an analog servo tester at various speeds/loads, they are completely smooth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2017 09:10AM by RichardV.
October 18, 2017 10:25AM
NEO drives with 166Hz on the Swashplate.

IMO this is normal. The servos are so fast, that they start to see the framerate as single steps already.

so long ... Uli
http://www.vstabi.de
October 18, 2017 11:04AM
Hi Richard,

VBars actually outputs 144 Hz to the swash plate servo ports, as a side note.

I have already seen that with ultrafast HV servos, both on the tail and on the swash plate, and discussed it with our developer.
The reason is probably indeed the speed of the servos, almost instantly moving into the next position, and then fluttering with the almost imperceptible tremble of your fingers, on the stick.

If the servos run smoothly wenn controlled by the VBar (move the model, see the sensor-controlled motion), all should be well.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
October 21, 2017 10:14AM
Thank you for the replies. I tried again and created the servo movement using an oscillator macrocell, and it does the same thing.

I think you're right about the servos being fast, and under light or negative load the servo motor keeps stop/starting/reversing even though the requested movement is uniform and in one direction.

Consider this one solved thumbs up

Cheers
Richard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login