Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RC Input Packets Lost Error and Crash

Posted by rasheem 
RC Input Packets Lost Error and Crash
May 09, 2016 08:31PM
Hello everyone,

Yesterday i've faced with an error " RC Input Packets Lost " and "Failsafe activated", my heli went out of control for a while, than fairly small crash (the most pricy one is main blades).

First of all, my setup is;

Mikado Logo 550sx
Kontronik Pyro 650-103L
Kontronik Jive 100LV
Savöx 1258/1290
Thunder Power Magna 5000mah
Vbar Neo w/pro rescue
Vbar Control

I use this heli with that setup since October 2015 and have 36 flights without an accident until now.

There was nothing unusual yesterday, i connected battery, check servo movements etc as usual. Then heli got off the ground, after 16-17 seconds i had faced with failsafes and then inevitable crash...

Video;

www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8yH-Bd0rPw

As you can see, i switched to "Motor On" position at 0:17 ... After 16 seconds approximately, first connection lost (0:33) and failsafe showed up, after couple of seconds second connection lost... I tried to level the heli during crash, for this reason i switched to "motor off", at the same time "rescue"...

Heli was not crashed so badly but anyway crash report is;

* Edge 553mm main blades
* One skid pipe
* One boom brace
* 25mm (cutted down to 640mm) boom
* Thrust bearings were damaged too...

And Vbar Control Analyzer logs;

Note: Log is attached.

So, what can cause this error?
Attachments:
open | download - 00149_vbar.zip (490 bytes)
RV
Re: RC Input Packets Lost Error and Crash
May 09, 2016 09:09PM
This issue can be caused by several reasons, for example static hits or motor insulation.

Please do some checks:

- check motor insulation with a insulation tester, check also motor cables (maybe they touch the others or the motor).
http://vstabi.info/en/node/1846

- check anti static connectivity from tail boom to motor plate
- are there other belt pulleys or wheels mounted than in the stock Logo?

- at least do a range check and post a screenshot

http://vstabi.info/en/node/1692

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
May 09, 2016 11:00PM
Thanks for quick reply Rainer winking smiley

** I've checked motor insulation, no problem... My Pyro 650 was brand new and there is still no deformations on the cables. Screw length is also ok, far away from stator coil... And i use Suprax motor-esc connectors. So, there is nothing on the motor side...

** There is no other parts in my heli... All Mikado parts thumbs up

** I did range check after the crash yesterday. The antenna bar in the VBC stayed in "good/perfect" condition all the time. Above the treshold thumbs up

*** Mikado antistatic wire kit (4358) was also installed in my heli... To be honest, i didn't check the "continuity". But i have lots of clean logs before this incident. Why did this happen this time? And it's just 16. second of flight (and this was the first flight yesterday), why did this happen at the first seconds of flight? Is this duration enough for a static hit?

Thanks and best regards,

Rasim.
RV
May 10, 2016 09:35PM
Well - all you can do now is to check the anti static (this issue may depend on humidity and temperature) - and do a couple of teste runs on the bench.

If it is still there on the bench - swap 2 motor cables (motor runs against the freeewheel). If it is still there - check the motor again.

Rainer Vetter

Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
May 13, 2016 07:56AM
Thank you Rainer,

I'm building my heli again. But this time, i check the continuity at every step. Belt tensioner to boom, boom to motor mount, motor mount to stator...

What i want to ask is, what should i do for a proper antistatic wiring?

Is it enough to connect antistatic wire to motor mount? Or should i be sure that it is connected to motor housing via screws and direct contact surfaces? (motor housing is probably connected with stator coil)

I don't know much about static electric and how to dissipate it, strictly speaking, what is the role of stator coil, or motor mount only, or something else?

And of course, i'll do enough bench tests, check logs. If there is no warnings or errors, i'll gain confidence to electronics again and continue flying...

Best regards,

Rasim.
May 17, 2016 11:29PM
Any information about what to do for a proper antistatic wiring would be helpful smiling smiley
May 18, 2016 09:33AM
Hi Rasim,

well, the kit as we sell it is sufficient if mounted properly (conductivity between tail pulley screw and motor plate, mounted at the tail (screw to tail boom) and at the chassis (tail boom to motor plate).

In case you use a carbon tail boom, it can be difficult if the same fibers from the back do not lead to the front. Although carbon fiber is conductive, the canvas is not necessarily full-length conductive and the resin also insulates. If in doubt you can always mount self-adhesive conductive tape (like you would use for night flying applications) to the bottom of the tail boom.

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
February 23, 2018 05:25PM
Hi...i am a new user here. I also tried the same so as per my experience it can be difficult if the same fibers from the back do not lead to the front. Although carbon fiber is conductive, the canvas is not necessarily full-length conductive and the resin also insulates.

pcb assembly house

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2018 10:12PM by CoraDias.
RV
February 25, 2018 07:22AM
Yep - so as Eddi stated use some kind of conductive material (thin cable, self adhesive copper wire) instead the tail boom itself.

Rainer Vetter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login