Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Autotrim--question on proper procedure

Posted by johnahamelv 
Autotrim--question on proper procedure
September 06, 2012 08:56PM
New to VBar. Plan on maiden flight soon, weather permitting. I have questions on proper use of Autotrim, and possible limitations.

According to the video, I should power up the VBar at the take-off point with full collective. Then as soon as possible, I should take off and do the hovering procedure as per the video. A few questions come to mind.

1) The video mentions that the Autotrim is only active during positive collective. What happens if I inadvertently come down on the collective below the 0° mark? Will the Autotrim be turned off completely, and I would have to start the initialization all over again? Or after going from negative collective to positive collective, will the Autotrim just resume autotriming?

2) The video mentions to take off as soon as possible. After powering up the VBar, it may take me 60-90 seconds to connect the batteries to the ESC, strap the batteries correctly, and install the canopy correctly. All this while down on my knees. Then I have to walk back to a safe position away from the helicopter. How will these 60-90 seconds of inactivity affect the Autotrim? Shoud I have the blades at a little negative collective while I am setting up?

3) The video mentions to perform "hovering pyros" to check the success of Autotrim. Are these "hovering pyros" performed during the Autotrim session, or are the "hovering pyros" to be performed after restarting the VBar not on Autotrim mode?

4) Assuming I figure out how to do bank switching, can the VBar store different Autotrims for the different banks? Are different Autotrims needed for different banks, or is it just the optimizer that needs to be different for different banks?

Thanks
Re: Autotrim--question on proper procedure
September 06, 2012 09:37PM
Hi.

1. The trim function will be suspended while you're out of the allowed collective range, and while to much of cyclic inputs occur. It will resume every time the conditions are met again, so bringing back the heli or the like is no problem. After the flight, intentionally move the collective below zero to prevent the auto trim from continuing while on the ground.

2. No problem, just leave the collective stick at zero pitch or below while you get ready.

3. Those piros are performed while in auto trim mode. Auto trim will be suspended meanwhile.

4. It can. For the last 5 % of performance, do the trim flight for each bank separately. Same with the optimizer. Else, set up your heli to your liking in one bank, then copy this bank to all banks as a starting point and tweak the other banks to your liking. Mind to copy in any case, switching to a blank bank by accident would be disaster winking smiley

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
September 06, 2012 10:48PM
Since the Autotrim is not active at 0° or negative pitch, is it OK if I power up and initialize the VBar (full collective) at the setup table (comfortable waist height), bring the collective to negative, walk the 30 paces to the take-off point (still on negative collective), and start the Autotrim flight?

What would be different in the above scenario is that the VBar power up would take place 30 paces away from where the Autotrim flight itself would take place. This would be easier no my back and knees. If it has no effect on Autotrim, I would prefer to do it this way.
RV
September 06, 2012 10:54PM
Quote:
What would be different in the above scenario is that the VBar power up would take place 30 paces away from where the Autotrim flight itself would take place. This would be easier no my back and knees. If it has no effect on Autotrim, I would prefer to do it this way.

You're right. It can be done this way ;-)

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login