Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DMSS satellite support?

Posted by jotto 
DMSS satellite support?
June 06, 2011 12:57PM
Will V-Bar support DMSS satellite receivers? It seems like all the new JR radios are using DMSS now.
Re: DMSS satellite support?
June 07, 2011 01:40AM
I guess this would require a small hardware revision in the main VBAR module as the DMSS satellite Rx's have a 4 wire connection.

An option may exist for a 4 wire to 3 wire adaptor [may be able to utilise existing Spektrum sockets on VBAR] depending on the format of the 4 wire interface that JR are utilising. More detailed info is required about the actual serial data connection before this approach could be even considered though.

Looks like JR have standardised on DMSS for their new radios so it will hopefully/probably just be a matter of timing as to when Mikado decide to support it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2011 03:24AM by costas.
June 16, 2011 12:40PM
I hope Mikado choose to make this happen, either by a small adaptor to blueline or the like. New jr radios are delivered with DMSS everywhere but the states where Horrizon keeps modding them with DSMX.

Where I live I see a trend with people sick of sending their DX8 in looking towards JR so I believe we will see more and more JR around now. We also recently got a distributer here too.

I would love getting support for DMSS in vbar as I would like to stay with vbar on my helicopters, but I will not stay with DSM2 forever, and I will not go for DSMX. I feel uneasy flying with DSM2 with my 700 size helis.

Klaus Myrseth
Compass atom 500 FBL, 2X7HV FBL
Everything with VBar ofc winking smiley
June 16, 2011 01:10PM
Currently i do not know anything about this dmss. JR is not very popular overe here with their new system.

Generally we will look into it as soon as we get the hands on the system, maybe a minimal support from JR is needed to implement the protocol correctly. Hopefully we get the permission. We alredy get the support from Futaba and Multiplex, so these are links that run very smooth. Spektrum is a bit more difficult, but its solved currently.

It depends if additional hardware is needed. In this case it will take some time to develop and produce adapters. If its only a wire harnes i.e. that that may be quicker.

so long ... Uli
http://www.vstabi.de
June 17, 2011 08:40PM
The JR XG8 is now available in Norway, but I need DMSS support in the VBar before I buy it.
Keep up with the great work Mikado, so we can use the new DMSS radios with VBar soon.

Terje
ATH
June 28, 2011 10:47PM
Me too like to have the new JR XG8 radio, but I am held back until the V-bar can support DMSS.
I really hope you will be able to provide DMSS support for us in not too long.

Best regards
Arne
July 07, 2011 08:08PM
Is there any news here?
will the DMSS work with VBAR satellite mode?

Cheers.
July 08, 2011 10:40PM
I am another one considering XG8 as next radio... waiting for sat support (i will not go back to standalone receiver + sat).
July 20, 2011 11:06PM
Any news on this subject guy's please.:-)
svl
July 27, 2011 06:03AM
+1 for the dmss system support!!!!
August 07, 2011 05:30PM
The DMSS satellite is not a satellite RX like we got to know the Spektrum ones, it is only used for telemetry data transmission. Currently using the XG8 and you HAVE to use a full separate DMSS RX with all the FBL units out there.

See http://www.jrpropo.co.jp/english/propo/dmss/products.html#ra01t

It is called a remote antennae with telemetry support. If you unplug it from the RX you get no telemetry data, BUT the RX still works perfectly with it's own two antennae.

Edit: Sorry my bad just found this

http://www.jrpropo.co.jp/english/propo/dmss/whats_dmss.html

Quote:
Reliability is built into the system!
Reliable remote antenna system

2.4GHz RF transmissions tend to be directional. To mitigate this characteristic, our full range receivers are equipped with dual path diversity antenna systems. Our addition of coaxial antennas enables the receiver to operate in any environment. The small remote receivers have a performance level equivalent to a full size receiver.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2011 05:37PM by Vinger.
August 09, 2011 07:56PM
Vinger, you should use classic receiver with Spektrum radios too.
The ability to use DSM2/X satellite receiver with Vbar is just clever use of the sats and i think it is not what Spektrum had in mind when they developed it.

Futaba went that way with SBUS.

So, i think it is possible to use DMSS the same way, someone only need to "crack" the protocol, as it happened with Spektrum and SBUS.
August 17, 2011 03:26PM
Wow, JR seems to have found a way to make it close. With the integrated receiver without external bus system they seem to manage to make it impossible to use a single line or remote reciver solution.
The remote antenna includes a telemetry transmitter, but no full antenna. So it seems to make no sense to use these sats as full reciver replacement.
Sorry, this is a big step back for the JR eqipment against the spektrum solution and the futaba s-bus or other busses like the mutiplex M-link.

so long ... Uli
August 17, 2011 06:41PM
Uli, you learned that how?
I expect the 4 lines to be gnd, power, serial line with channels and telemetry serial line.
But i do not know of course - i know person in Slovakia which want to look deeper into it and also make special telemetry modules for it, but he did not found time yet to do it.
But i think both Spektrum and Jeti protocols were well analyzed by some German users, so maybe someone from Germany with passion in this will know more?
A multimeter and osciloscope would give some basic idea.
Was enough for me to see what the Spektrum sats produce.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2011 06:42PM by jointer.
August 28, 2011 08:25AM
Hi Uli,

Was there any contact with JR concernig let's say a release for DMSS sats?
August 30, 2011 08:32AM
---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2011 08:41AM by chawki212.
August 30, 2011 10:17AM
No, no contact.

so long ... Uli
April 14, 2012 08:08AM
Are there any developments on V Stabi upgrading their products to support the JR DMSS satellites?

Regards

Acrow
April 14, 2012 10:27AM
Ulrich & Co is in USA for the Dahl flightline event.
JR released satellites that actually have receivers in them now so now it's doable for sure.
April 26, 2012 11:26PM
Any news on the DMSS ? Looking to buy a new JR.
April 29, 2012 12:45PM
Looks like single line DMSS is a possibility for the VBAR.

Skookum SK540 is supporting single line connection to JR DMSS receivers as per their following web page instructions....

http://www.skookumrobotics.com/wiki/index.php?title=DMSS_and_SK540_Connections

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2012 12:46PM by costas.
April 29, 2012 06:13PM
Maybe someone can try... Theoretically this may work.

But...

The Sats i already have seen does not have a external Antenna and are only used in Combination with a main reciver. Usually they are used to transmit Telemetry data. They man be capable of reciving a Signal from the Transmitter as well, but with a internal antenna only? I am not sure if this is a good idea...

so long ... Uli
April 30, 2012 03:23AM
http://www.jrpropo.co.jp/english/propo/dmss/details.php?hen=03452
With antenna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 03:23AM by MrMel.
April 30, 2012 07:40PM
The link above shows a RAO1TL the telemetry model. The one shown with the 8 channel reciever is a RAO1T shown as a receiver. Don't know what he difference is but both have 4 wires.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 07:40PM by rcheliaviator.
April 30, 2012 07:42PM
If i have understood correct the newer with antenna is receiver too and the old is telemetry only
Unless they enabled receiver in the older one with the latest fw in the radio (i tested a while back and then there was no data coming back)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 07:43PM by MrMel.
April 30, 2012 08:13PM
With some kind of adapter you could make the new one work with the Vbar & the the sats as receiver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 08:14PM by rcheliaviator.
May 01, 2012 02:28AM
MrMel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If i have understood correct the newer with
> antenna is receiver too and the old is telemetry
> only

This is what we need to verify - ie, is it actually a receiver or simply just a telemetry unit with a coax antenna for longer range?
May 03, 2012 03:06AM
Couldn't wait just received my JR DMSS. Nice radio just need to figure out the sat situation.
May 03, 2012 07:12AM
Just out of curiousity, I downloaded the instruction manual for JR's XG11 Tx.

I found a section where it shows a typical installtion of the Rx.

Of interest - Note where the manual states "The remote antenna receives data and also feeds back to the transmitter." this is with refernce to the RA01T sat unit.

Also towards the end of the page it states again that the RA01T 'receives' data from the Tx.

May 03, 2012 07:15AM
It might be that it changed in the last firmware when they prepped the xg11 release.
I tested a xg8 a while back (older fw) and it was telemetry only, one cable was dead, no data at all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login