Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Scorpion 4525 380kV on 690SX - governor input contains glitches

Posted by prokyon 
Scorpion 4525 380kV on 690SX - governor input contains glitches
July 31, 2017 02:16PM
Hello,

I have a lot of governor input contains glitches error messages in my VBar log: I bench-tested the motor with 1000V insulation tester - it passes. I tested the motor after mounting in the heli - passed too (before connecting the ESC). Running up without blades to 1800 and 2000 RPM is fine too - no errors in the VBar log. When I go flying, as soon as I punch the collective I get errors in the VBar log. Wires are insulated properly - I actually slid an extra layer of heatshrink over the wires just to be sure after plugging them into the ESC (heatshrink covers the connection, so there's no short).

I think it's the motor - what do you think? When testing with 1000V, the tester shows a short abruptly when I press the test button, then goes to pass the motor.

Thanks!
RV
Re: Scorpion 4525 380kV on 690SX - governor input contains glitches
July 31, 2017 06:09PM
Ok - it sounds like motor because it depends on the load/current. Otherwise a insulation fail in the ESC may cause this too - but be aware to check it with a 1000v tester ;-(

regards (EN) / Gruss (DE)

Rainer Vetter

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Posting and answering - please use a PC and a standard keyboard. Answer all questions fully, take the needed time, don't forget probably requested attachments.

Für Posts und Antworten bitte einen PC und eine richtige Taststaur benutzen sowie alle Fragen vollständig abarbeiten. Nehmt Euch Zeit, beantwortet Rückfragen in Ruhe und vollständig.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Für Einzelkommunikation bitte ausschließlich Email verwenden! - PN, Messenger, Chat usw. werden nicht bearbeitet.
For single user communication please send a email only! PM, Messenger, Chat etc. won't be read.
July 31, 2017 06:35PM
Yes, wiring 1000V to 12S-rated ESC is probably not a good idea LOL

Are there any particular motors and pinions you could recommend for the 690SX? How's XNova 4035 with 14T pinion?
August 01, 2017 08:55AM
Hi,

I would think a 4035 is slightly inferior to a 4525 (stator diameter x stator length, defining both power and torque), but in the end it's about the kV, so you get reasonable head speeds with a large enough pinion, with a reasonable throttle value so the ESC is not running too hot. The 400 kV and 14 T should be OK.

It also depends on your style of flying, usually the models are hopelessly overpowered these days, for sports flying and sports 3D ... but of course you can never have enough power winking smiley

Kind regards

Eddi

Born to fly ...
forced to work.
August 03, 2017 11:26PM
Update: the ESC was faulty - motor is fine.

I couldn't get the motor to short with 1000V test on the bench and in the heli, then tried running up the ESC on the bench and moving all the wires - still nothing, would only short and lose power when applying a lot of load to the motor.

So I called MikadoUSA, Ron there was of big help and concluded the same thing - must be the ESC. Went across the road to HeliDirect, picked up authentic HobbyWing 130A V4, wired it up and the heli flies like a dream now - no errors in the log.

The faulty ESC is the Align-branded 130A V4, which is probably cheaper for a reason. I have the same one in my other 700 helis and that one works fine, but this other one is clearly faulty - just glad it didn't catch fire - VBar rocks! Logging feature is awesome!

Now to contact Align, get a replacement and sell it...

Thank you for your help - another problem solved!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login